Friday 23 August 2013

Research?



I have spent much of today in northern Israel fighting the 1918 Battle of Megiddo.  Now naturally I realise I must indicate to the less intelligent among the congregation that I was not actually participating in the fighting myself, I was merely reading about it.  I was trailing the advance of the 5th Essex Battalion after the battle of Jaffa and discovered the part they played in this major 'Mother of all Battles.'  Actually while here can I remind those mentioned previously that the 'Jaffa' in question being battled over is in fact NOT an orange, or indeed an orchard of that succulent citrus fruit, it was the town after which those fruits were named that I meant.   Also I suppose I must indicate that I failed to find much depth in what the 5th achieved in this advance as the reports tended to concentrate on the Cavalry taking major targets, the RAF bombing the communications centre and lesser regiments taking all the credit.  Tsk!  
This is a wee job I began some time ago and returning to it I discovered just how illiterate I am! What appeared to be acceptable at the time turns out to be meaningless drivel!  Now I realise what sub editors, or critics if you prefer, are for.  It didn't help that I had lost my place in all the books, mags and websites I had been using and have to spend hours attempting to find them all again.  Bah! 
For some the Great War was spent in France and Flanders, usually bored, often cold, damp and shot at.  For the 5th the war was spent in the delight of Gallipoli, Egypt and 120 degrees of heat in the Sinai as they approached Gaza.  After three attempts and a new commander they finally passed that historic town and ventured north to Jaffa, not for oranges remember.  I have yet to find out if any of the original 649 men and 29 officers made it to the end.  As they left Gallipoli only 6 officers and 100 men had survived that escapade.  As the war progressed the losses were made up with replacements from Britain, often no longer Essex men alone merely anyone who was available.  A quick calculation shows the 5th battalion lost a total of 332 men dead by wars end.  Around three others would be wounded, often more than once, and no count can ever be made of those who died from their exertions during the next forty years, often long before the next war came to be.  


.

7 comments:

Lee said...

First off...I'm glad you clarified that you weren't actually fighting the battle, Adullamite. I was about to put a care package together for you.

Not to make light of the situation because no wars, past or present are subjects of mirth, but tell me something....have our Jaffas, the lollies infiltrated your shores?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaffas

When we were kids it was part of the entertainment at Saturday afternoon movie matinees to roll Jaffas down the aisle of the picture theatre!

They are yummy...and I've not had a Jaffa in years. I should get a packet of them and roll them across the floor as I watch TV; except then I'd have to be the one to clean them up!

Carry on....

Adullamite said...

Oranges are my pith and kin.....

Lee said...

Suth a pithy!

Kay G. said...

I lose myself reading about history and battles like this.
Thanks for this post, I did not know about Jaffa as a battleground in World War I. I need to read more about it.

Unknown said...

Have you ever really wondered why you hold such a fascination for futility? (Be assured that I am being serious here.)

Unknown said...

Did you find my last comment not worth replying to, or have you been having a lot more "senior moments" lately?

Adullamite said...

I am full of senior moments these days.