Friday 2 August 2013

Quandry



After the hot sunshine of yesterday it was no surprise to spend the morning inside dodging the thunder and lightning.  Clouds rolled over and the thunder rolled through it all morning.  The rain came down like stair rods and the poor postie must have been saturated before he got very far.  I told him not to worry, I was alright!  I didn't catch what he said.  However when the lightning was at its height I discovered an old pair of boots, missing for a very long time.  It is amazing what you see when lying prone, breathing dust under the bed.

When all had passed by I promenaded through the town wondering if anyone had missed me. None spoke.  Not even those who had quickly secured their seats outside the pub, and how much had they consumed in a short time, bothered to glare in my direction.  I crossed the park, which was almost deserted bar a woman with several kids on a bench in the distance.  A child of about three rode a bike, she rode it somewhat directionless I thought before realising she was riding it directly at me.  She stopped in front of me and looked, kids often do and I sort of panicked.  The mother was at a large distance and the thought I may be seen as a paedophile talking to her kid crossed my mind, so I moved on.  Now normally I would speak to such children, normally I would not react like this, normally I would treat the brat as they deserve but on this occasion, possibly because so few were about, I moved on feeling guilty I may have bemused the child.  Here I am worried I may find a short haired, dangly earringed harridan chasing me!  What sort of neurotic world do I find myself in?  Is it just me?  Children of that age I look upon as a granddad would, except I keep the cash in my pocket, and I would prefer to react normally and chat like I feel we should.  The kids may be OK but too many mothers are not these days.  Some fathers, when they exist, are worse!

.

9 comments:

Jenny Woolf said...

I must say I am amazed at how aggressive and self righteous some parents seem about their kids. I am getting used to it now, I think, but even so I can't help thinking it's not good for the kids to be guarded in this way. It might be that they are more at risk than they used to be in the olden days when we were young, indeed i do think this is true. Sad.

the fly in the web said...

Tjere would have been no problem about the encounter when I was young. If, for onemoment, one had imagined driving against the legs of an adult the notion woukd have been rapidly suppressed by thoughts of the upbraiding aid adult would have administered.
But yes, I take your point...parents whio can't be bothered to educate their children are paranoid about paedophilia...

Unknown said...

One of my most unpleasant memories of my truckin' days is of meeting a lad of around 5 (I think) in a convenience store around Perth Amboy, New Jersey. When he saw me, his mouth flopped open, and then he asked, "Are you a real cowboy?" In reply, I told him that I had worked as one from time to time, but that I was driving a truck at the time. Seconds later, his mother came charging around the corner of the isle and snatched him by the arm quite forcefully. As she was dragging him away, she was screaming at him about not talking to strangers. I felt absolutely terrible and wished that I had just ignored his question in the hope that it might have saved him from his mother's wrath. Alas, I would like to think that her intentions were good, but she sure overacted, in my opinion.

soubriquet said...

It's a difficult subject. Some years ago, I was visiting my sister and brother-in-law, an unexpected stopover, and my sister thought it would be fun for me to surprise the kids by picking them up from school.

So, off I went, and waited, like the other picker-uppers, by the school gates. Or so I thought. But no... they were 'waiting', but out came the headteacher and a couple of staff, alerted by a 'concerned' parent...
No, my extremely similar activity to the 'waiters' was not 'waiting', oh no, it was 'lurking'. I was ordered to explain myself and present identification. Well, in fact that was a bit unnecessary as two little girls cannonballed through the crowd and threw themselves at me, yelling gleefully.
Still, the head-teacher refused to take their word that I was the absolutely best uncle in the universe, and insisted on calling my sister, and getting her to describe me.
Paranoia at its best.

It saddens me no end that a lone male in proximity to children is looked on with such suspicion.

Only a few days ago, I was in the park when I saw a kid floundering, out of her depth after paddling too far into the lake. She sank a couple of times, and I thought of saving her, but, you know, all that lifesaving stuff I learned and got a badge for in school, well, you know,it requires contact. And contact is a no-no, absolutely these days. So, as she sank beneath the surface, for the third and final time, I turned my back and strolled away.

Can't be too careful these days.

Lee said...

Hahahahaha! I loved the image of you under the bed, Adullamite! Any dust mites under there keeping you company? ;)

Yep! It's a different world we live in today...sadly. Once you could talk to a child; smile at a child...but at what risk these days...particularly if you're man. Every thing and every one have gone crazy. And political-correctness doesn't help, either! As far as I'm concerned, it's gone past its use-by date!!

Adullamite said...

Jenny, I don't think there is more risk. However the media exaggerate this to sell and mothers today are more selfish than before.
You I note are an exception!

Fly, Kids will always be kids, adults change!

Jerry, Over reaction indeed. That is what I am wary off. The police of course today have no common sense either. They accept what mum says and jump to conclusions!No investigation!

Soub, I would be keen to sue in those situations. I would also do what others do and run to the Daily mail for cash!
Shame about the drowning, but you would have been arrested for saving her.

Lee, PC rules, and the more misguided it is the more folks apply it!

Kay G. said...


I think more adult supervison is needed around 3 year old children. Just because they are in a park does not mean they should be a good distance from the mother.

I can understand children being told not to talk to strangers but when one of them almost runs a stranger over, perhaps a "Sorry" would be in order?
The same thing happened to me with a bigger kid on a bike and I had to grab the handlebars to stop him from running me over! Had I been a male, I might have been arrested!

Kay G. said...

Oh! And I forgot to say, I think I will be under the bed in my next thunderstorm!

Adullamite said...

Kay, I agree about better supervision. Mind the dust beneath that bed.