Thursday 21 February 2013

MORE SHOPPING WOES!




So you don't like me shopping? BAH!  I went anyway!

It was rubbish! 
The Oxfam shop exists here, it remains overpriced and did not have what I want!  Waterstone's here had more floor space and more books I didn't want, but found two I can suffer.  Almost no bookshops left in this country, even the second hand ones are mostly charitable types now.  Amazon has much to answer for!

Still I got 'Annals' by Tacitus (or Takitus if you prefer) plus 'Britain BC' by Francis Pryor.  Also having passed two folks with flu I expect to get that also, Flu hates me with a passion.  I'm convinced virii and germs recognise me wherever I am.  There are ancient canals in boring  Chelmsford, the bridge is dated 1787, the one below I mean, as that is the year the canal opened, and runs over the River Can which leads tothe Basin.  The green one is considerably later and not so attractive.  From Chelmsford basin, now a nice walk in the sunshine, the boats would make their way to the Heybridge Basin near Maldon.  Horse drawn barges, very romantic but commercially slow, carried 25 tons of grain, flour and whatever to the coast, bricks, coal, timber etc were brought back.  The horse were used until the 60's even!  The commercial side ended in 1972,unusually the rail links did not compete with this canal and that is the reason for its survival.  


I attempted to take pics of the fabulous wee houses I passed but the bus moved too fast and only this one in a village survives.  T last time I was in Great Leighs, about 15 years ago I cycled around the back roads visiting the tomb of the Reverend Clark, he of 'Echoes of the War' fame. Then it was a small place, with lots ofinteresting wee houses and people watching through the net curtains as I passed.  Today it has swollen enormously owing to housing development.  You get a glimpse of such housing development in this picture here.  I know what I prefer.  Other villages have kept the developer at bay and houses from several hundred years ago deserve a visit in the summer.  If I'm free that day!


I hurried up the road to get the quarter past bus, which naturally did not arrive.  The highly sophisticated timetable has been well presented, it just forgot to add the bus might not arrive!  The first time I visited London I was somewhat taken aback to see the timetables on the stops informing us the buses arrived 'every fifteen minutes, but it then told us the times may not be adhered to!  That would never have done for Edinburgh!  


As I headed for the bus in a rush I passed this place.  Typical of many pubs in the London area and looking very neat today.  In stead of standing freezing in the bus station (why do they build them in such a way as to invite cold winds?)  I should have been in here. The bus arrived at twenty to the hour!  Bah!  

Still awake.....?  


.

7 comments:

Lee said...

Wow! You don't sound like a happy chappy at all, Adullamite! I think you should give up bus shelters; bus trips and shopping and just spend your hours in the Railway Tavern. It looks very inviting; and after you have a few rums, no flu bug will want to go near you!

That's my advice...and it's free!!

Kay G. said...

I so agree with that last comment. That Railway Tavern looks very inviting.

red dirt girl said...

great photos, Adullamite :)

xxx

Mo said...

Ah so you had a great time. i bet you are planning your next visit already.

Adullamite said...

Lee, The advice is free, the pub aint!

Kay, Thought you would!

RDG, Hmmm

Mo, Suggest someplace....

Jenny Woolf said...

Looks as if it could be a nice little pub.

Not only bus stations are horrible in most weathers. I have (unfortunately) had to be spending more time than I'd like around hospitals lately and even the newly built ones in Berks and Wilts anyway seem to have been built with no regard for frail and sick patients coming outside. There are wind tunnel type areas with very little shelter from rain that these patients have to stagger across to get to even a pickup point. If they can't build the places with a door leading directly onto the pickup area, why not find the extra money to build some walls on the wind tunnels they create? !!

Adullamite said...

Jenny, Indeed! Such considerations are not important it seems.