Tuesday 15 May 2012

Suspicious Bird



I have met a few suspicious birds in my time, for some reason few appear willing to trust my intentions.  The big Crows that live in the park trees are always moving off when passers-by approach, while the Goldfinches and Blue Tits rush off at high speed, especially when they catch me at the window spoiling their feed from the remaining nuts hanging there.  The Blackbird sitting here was watchful as I approached, no nearer than ten feet, but the wee camera did OK here.  You will of course know that Blackbirds are the first to break the quiet in the early morn.  Blackbirds, then Robins, then Thrushes I believe open up the dawn chorus because their eyes are larger and more susceptible to the first light, or so I hear.  It sounds true because when I was a postman I left here at four thirty in the morning, long before you lot left the dream factory, and as I turned the corner a blackbird would sing out at the far end of the street, then another at this end and before I had gone fifty yards they were all at it.  A right cacophony of birdsong, and delightful it was too!  Whether the intention was to waken the dead or just remind their neighbours that this was their patch is unclear, while the amount of noise from one small bird is amazing.


7 comments:

Kay G. said...

I love this photo of the blackbird.
When I first saw blackbirds in England, I recognized them from the books by Beatrix Potter.
I must have spent too much time studying her drawings as a child.
Love the birds! Either here or in England!

Jenny Woolf said...

I love the song of the blackbird. It is always so varied.
That one looks a bit tough, I must admit.

red dirt girl said...

What's the difference between a blackbird, a crow and a raven? Seriously - I'm a bit befuddled. Crows don't sing do they? I thought they cawed ...

xxx

Unknown said...

Considering what a warm and engaging chap you are, you have good reason to be suspicious of anyone or anything eye-ballin' you. I could be wrong, though.

Adullamite said...

Kay, The US Blackbirds are indeed a different bird. We have at least 5 million in summer, 15 million in winter apparently! Lovely birds.

Jenny, Lovely song, Thrush family of course as is the Robin and they all sing well.

RDG, Crows do indeed Caw, as you say. They are also BIG but the ones in the park all know their place and keep to their own. Ravens look similar to Crows but have gray near the neck. Blackbirds and a quarter of the size of the big boys and do all the singing.

Adullamite said...

Jerry, 'Warm & engaging?' Yes that sounds right....

Relax Max said...

This is such an amazingly informative blog. I always suspected ravens were different than/to crows. And indifferent to me. Crows can talk, you know.