Wednesday 19 October 2011

Remus Memorial Horse Sanctuary



As the market was closing today I wandered around looking for dropped coins and or discarded vegetables for my tea.  As I entered the glorified shopping area I noticed a stand with two very smart black Shetland Ponies for the 'Remus Memorial Horse Sanctuary.'   The centre is a great place to show off a variety of organisations and events, usually terrible I must say, however  once or twice a year this sanctuary appears in the centre.  There usually is a sheep, goat or pony or two, and today we were presented with these ponies.  


The Remus sanctuary was named after a horse of that name that had been tied up and left for up to four months by the owner.  It appears the horse had not been fed or watered in any way for thirteen days and was very emaciated. When rescued the horse was in a frightened state, collapsed and was manhandled into the rescue vehicle where it lay in a sad state.  Remus died the next day from internal bleeding.  This does happen all to frequently, and in Britain, a country famed for the love of animals!  

The animals on show naturally attract a crowd and donations are received gladly, although she nearly broke my arm helping me to donate.  It's not often I am turned upside down in a shopping centre by two strapping lassies!  It is however a very good cause. http://www.remussanctuary.org/




.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Something about you looking for dropped coins AND donating is not working for me.

soubriquet said...

I was a little worried about you eating dropped coins and discarded vegetables. Don't forget to wash the coins well before consuming, you never know whose dirty hands touched them last.

We used to have a silver sixpence in my mother's china-cabinet. This was reputed to have been in family christmas puddings pretty much forever, or since the Boer War.
Our attitude toward the sixpence changed forever, when great-auntie Sybil related how her brother Percy had swallowed it in about 1910.... And retrieved it a day or so later.
After that story, my mother decided against putting it in the christmas pudding again.

red dirt girl said...

ponies! lassies! sanctuary! good for you for helping out.

xxx

Adullamite said...

Leaz, I don't understand....

Soub, We, being poor, had silver thrupennies in ours!

RDG, I am always willing to help lassies out, even if they look like ponies.

Relax Max said...

A beautiful animal. The black pony, I mean. Nice pics.

Adullamite said...

Max, I thought you meant me...