Thursday 13 August 2009

Busy Day in China


I have spent most of the day scanning pictures from my dad's old albums onto the PC. This was going to be a short job however after we decided to offer one of the album to the KOSB museum I have discovered just how many photographs there are!

The majority are those taken by dad when a young man with the KOSB in HongKong and Poona (but not at the same time). A box brownie probably, often at an angle, and with little understanding of how bright sunshine interferes with picture taking! So today I have scanned hundreds in, altered most of them and find a whole day has gone.

Many of the pics, like the one above, were professionally taken, bought in sets and he has stuck them in the album. (Note how the word 'Junk' is spelt by the photographer) These give a good image of Hong Kong between 1926 and 1930, but I suggest those living there today would not be able to identify many places amongst the skyscrapers now.

At least this stopped me thinking about Gary Caldwell and Scotland's hopes shrinking.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I envy how much you have left of your dad. It is not enough, I know, but it is something to hold onto until the day when you will see him again in glory. Hopefully, that day will come much sooner than later, and that is not meant in jest, neither. (This time.)

Strawberry Girl said...

Scanning pictures is a chore, but it is interesting as well.

SG

Monty and Lucy said...

My Dad was in HK with the KOSB. As far as I can tell they may have been in at the same time. His name was Bill Wallis. He was 2nd Battalion and went from HK to Poona India and then Palestine. I don't wish to bother you but are you going to post any of your dad's photos? I would love to be able to see them. It would be like seeing what my dad saw, he died in 81 and we never talked much about his service, he never wanted to. Thanks anyway I liked the junk. John Wallis