Tuesday 5 January 2021

Book: 'Edinburgh at War'

 

 
I have just finished the first book of the year, 'Edinburgh at War,' by Craig Armstrong.  
In spite of being brought up in Edinburgh after the war (long after) I had little knowledge of events that occurred there during seven long years of service.  Obviously there were little stories that leaked out, tales of woe or funny situations, occasional photographs and the tales my dad offered re his wartime service.  However no details as such of the changes that occurred during this time.  This book goes a long way to answering the questions I was to stupid to consider asking.
Taking the war year by year the author offers tales from the media of what events appeared important, the building of defences, the formation of defence forces, in fire and medical areas, the rise of the Home Guard, and the results of enemy action.
All these things changed as the war passed.  Here we read of the grumbles, early was confusions re sirens and blackout, the council (Corporation actually at this time) action or lack off, and of course the cost of war.  Men in action if France, Dunkirk, Middle East, Far East, and once again in France and Germany.  Actions in the air, the first attacks from the air were on shipping in the Firth of Forth, the reaction to this, other bombing raids, those killed, damage caused.  Action at sea, in the air and on land involved men from this area, and all the while industry boomed making war equipment, Leith docks created many a vessel for action.  
Not surprisingly much attention is given to celebrations at wars end and royal visits.  While quaint in some eyes these reports speak of the attitudes of the day, reflected in many who were children at the time, the language used in the reports take us into the time, for those like me much is recognisable and other aspects explain the attitudes of parents for many years.
Simple things remained, the siren gave out the 'all clear' once or twice a year just to test them I suppose, treats offered kids in war, such as a rhubarb stick with some sugar, was current when we were kids also.  'Make do and mend' remained throughout the 50s and well into the 60's, in this house it remains still!   
 
I learned a great deal from this book, and it comes with relevant photogrpahs which can only help.  I recommend it to one and all.   
'Pen and Sword Books' cover many other towns and cities in this series, from Aberdeen to London, including 'Cardiff and the Valleys.'

3 comments:

Lady Di Tn said...

With our caregiving duties gone, I have found time to read. I leave a book in different rooms so I can go forth unto the pages. the one in the kitchen is "The cavalier of Tennessee by Meredith Nicholson. It is about Andrew Jackson Then I got 3 new books at Christmas. Crazy about Gardening by Des Kennedy, Greenlights by Matthew McConaughey and the one I have read twice THE BOY, THE MOLE,THE FOX AND THE HORSE BY CHARLIE MACKERY. The last one is so uplifting I may get it for several of my friends. Glad you enjoyed your book. Peace and Hope

the fly in the web said...

It sounds as if it goves pretty comprehensive coverage.
Now you've polished off the pies I suppose you have time for reading...

Adullamite said...

Lady, Reading is good, cast the net wide.

Fly, Ah yes the pies, I wonder if I should order more...?