Thursday 12 December 2019

Duty Done


I did the dirty deed and entered the rather quiet polling station and placed my cross in an appropriate box.  The pace had been steady, busier early on, but voting was proceeding quieter than I expected in UKIP land.  The rain which had started just before I entered I hoped would put the sheep off voting and give our man a chance to remove our sitting MP.  Little chance as I see it, his majority might be dented but too many sheep for him to lose sadly.  We await the result trembling as always. 
Before voting I coughed my way up to 'Biscuits' to meet my museum friend.  Over expensive coffee and chocolate cake, she had a brown lump of something, I avoided this, we then put the world to rights, exposed faults at the museum, blamed the correct people but avoided the discussing the vote.  She sadly is a sheep, blind to anything other than Brexit like so many around here.  Logic does not change them, emotion leads, nothing Boris can do will alter their vote.  This is beyond the normal pattern of voting for a party, this runs much deeper and is a kind of blindness.  I talk here of thoughtful, wise, intelligent souls, many in the church are included, who follow blindly whatever the result.  A most interesting situation. 
Tonight I will lie awake, possibly brandy sodden, while listening to the drivel on the radio as results begin to arrive.  This may lead to more brandy than I stock!  My friend met me this morning as she is one of those who counts the vote.  So she will be abed by now, resting while preparing to count sheaves of papers correctly.  As our man is James Cleverley, a minister, they have been informed to wear white as the TV will be on hand to record the result. 
I thought the combination of 'Polling station' and 'Dinosaurs' went together rather well myself... 


The election, morning coffee, feeding myself and sleeping off the stress of voting has meant nothing else has been done.  There again there appears to be nothing happening elsewhere, the rain does not help, it is teeming down, and with no political mentions on TV because of the vote, I fail to see this stopping the right wing press offering advice as to how to vote however, there is little of interest occurring.  I think I will go back to bed....



5 comments:

the fly in the web said...

How anyone can think they are getting Brexit on the deal done by Johnson is beyond me.....
I too liked the proximity of the dinosaur poster and that for the polling station...the voters can't say they were not warned...

Adullamite said...

Fly, There has been both 'too much thinking' and 'not enough thinking' over Brexit. Politicians win as there has been too little real information, and most of what was offered ignored..

Dave said...

Brandy needed all round.

Adullamite said...

Dave, I am awaiting a St Bernard dog arriving any minute now.

Kay G. said...

Haha, Putin looking at himself. I wish we still had paper ballots where you marked your choice with an X. I don't trust our computer voting machines. The blindness that you speak of
is certainly in this country. I will be talking to someone and it will not be one word of politics...and suddenly, they start telling me how much they love Trump! Impeachment? Who knows? If Congress gets anything done, it's a miracle.