Wednesday 20 April 2016

Blue Sky?


In spite of the cutting east wind the sun shone brightly all day today giving a fair impersonation of Spring.  I left the museum just after four having been called in while attempting to clean the oven.  What a relief I thought!  So the rest of the oven can get clean round about July now, maybe.  This was my day of odd jobs, sinks, loo, oven and a dozen little things were all lined up waiting for a woman to do them and none have shown so far.  This means I must do them but hark the museum calls all day tomorrow (Thursday to you) as I am on duty in the morning and the Crittalls reunion is in the afternoon.  Hopefully dozens will come to gossip and reminisce during the afternoon, quietly as I will be sleeping at the desk.  
Friday sees me back again as instead of watching St Johnstone playing Aberdeen I have been dragged into a quiz team at the museum (at £5 a go I add!) on Friday night!  I have not been out on a Friday night for about oh, twenty years!  I might need a guide to get back home.  This will disturb my routine something awful and I may not survive.  Oh I feel queasy thinking about it.

 

7 comments:

the fly in the web said...

From what I recall of Friday nights from my dim and distant youth they always seemed to be expensive.....though there were exceptions.

In the days when academics had an entertainment budget and knew how to spend it I had the great delight of returning home from a departmental cheese and wine do having drink taken and finding my tutor, who had also drink taken, attempting to descend the ascending escalator at Holborn tube station...
Ah, cheap thrills to warm a Scots heart...

I don't think I could cope with the emotional shock of a quiz night...I was used to people paying me to give them the answers not vice versa...

Lee said...

I very rarely go out at night these days (nights). I spent so many years working nights that I'm very content to remain at home.

The last time I went out on a Friday night (and, like you, it was the first time I'd done so in ages and ages) was last year when I was a guest for dinner at Cafe Bravo, a restaurant up here on the hill upon which I remain at home at night. I wrote about the mos rare, memorable event on my blog last year.

I hope you enjoy your night out, Mr. Ad-Man. Leave a breadcrumb trail so you can find your way back home again...and perhaps were a name tag with your return address on it! :)

Kay G. said...

A quiz team! That sounds like fun! I hope you do well! You know, you could lie even if you don't, we would never know. HA!

carol in cairns said...

Social Life? What is that concept again? I have forgotten what one looks like. But do enjoy .. It should be fun and will lift your spirits and set you up for a brilliant weekend.

Adullamite said...

Fly, I suspect all Friday nights are expensive. This one costs me £5!!!

Lee, I am missing the football for this! It had better be worth it.

Kay, Beautiful I never lie.

Carol, Social life, that sounds awful!

Jenny Woolf said...

Be brave! I'm writing this on Friday night and I'm imagining you being very, very brave!

Adullamite said...

Jenny, Thank you!