Saturday 23 April 2016

Saturday Night Relax


Saturday night sees me sitting happily in a silent building with a remarkably quiet street outside.  I suspect most folks are on their way or have arrived at their Saturday evening watering hole and the rest are numbing their mind watching mind numbing Saturday evening TV.
I rest after my week of toil.  Working Tuesday morn was fine however Wednesday saw me halfway through cleaning the oven when I was called into the museum.  Thursday I was there all day happily chatting to the folks who came for the event and took ages to leave as they were having fun.  Friday I spent recovering from my exhaustion.  I am not used to work I have found.  Once upon a time I worked all the hours required now I faint at the mention of labour.  Today however I have done little although I did visit the veg man and stop at the museum to pay for the quiz night.  Naturally I had to hang around as the boss was almost alone in the place, the two staff having booked other events today and only the apprentice was in also.  Another 3/4 of an hour on the time sheet.  At least the boss was kind enough to pay my £5 for the quiz night as a reward for my services.  I kept saying 'No, I'll pay' as I put my wallet back in my pocket but he insisted.  I however had to ring it through the till as he could not find the 'Quiz' button!
The quiz started badly.  I arrived a few minutes before 7:30 to discover it started at 7.  I blame her for telling me lies!  However I got there as the first question was to be put and the team was at the door nearby so I slipped in and slipped out again to gather a glass of red wine.
Three rounds of questions then a break for red wine, cheese and biscuits followed by another three rounds.  The usual formula, each table with four to six people arguing over the answers and knocking back red wine. 
I had brought several quiz books into the shop and the girls in the team had been studying them somewhat as had I.  I watched 'Eggheads' and listened to 'Brain of Britain' and together the table was full of people covering many years knowledge of the world.
We were rubbish!
Each question made us think and our thoughts at each question suddenly stopped!  We dried up and when the answers came we knew we ought to have known so many more than we did.  The mind is active watching quizzes on TV but not when confronted with the question yourself.  Even the history ones we got wrong although on several occasions I had the right answer and they would not accept it.  Example, 'How many seats in the House of Commons?'  '650.' said I, though I suggested it may be 635.  They chose 635 and the answer was 650!  Bah!  The red wine appeared to be filled up occasionally I noticed but not by whom.  
We made our way through the rounds noting the leaders were the curators team.  Someone, I know not who, started to spread a dirty lie that she had been looking through the answers in her office.  A lie I must state she loudly denied, but that may be the wine talking.  Quite why she hit me I don't know. 
At the break there was more wine and as I have been banned from cheese and biscuits they placed a platter full on each table right under my nose.  Thanks a bunch.  He next to me added cakes also to the pile, al;so banned and I was keen to keep the loss of half a stone, about 8 pounds continuing.
Drinking red wine possibly slowed our/my answers but the second half of the evening was hard.  The answers were not coming and the questions were often about subjects none of use cared for.  Quizzes must cover everything but we don't sadly.  
The end came and all we won was a free pencil because the name of the team (I forget what 'VIP' stood for in their interpretation) was the best.  The pencil offered was one of a large bundle found during a clear out and dated from 1986.  We were one short and I lost out.  Mind you I have the others in the shop!
We did not receive the prize of a doughnut each which went to the team with least points (The Friends of the Museum with hundreds of years of knowledge between them) neither did we get a bookmark for being second.  The winners - the curators team, and she I have to add did not cheat - got a jar of expensive fancy jam each.  
Then we all went home, I draining the red wine bottle and slipping out into the rain.
I noticed two things this morning.  One was I had eaten little but put the 8 pounds back on and the second was the old dear from the 'Friends of the Museum' who lay in my bed. At least she made breakfast.
I wonder who she was?


 

7 comments:

carol in cairns said...

Well it is obvious you had a good night out ~ and that is a very good thing.

Lee said...

On Saturday night I was one of those persons numbing their brain watching brain-numbing TV; and I thoroughly enjoyed the numbing. I watched "The Railway Man", among other recorded programmes. I shed a few tears of "The Railway Man" - as sad story in so many ways.

The hours spent numbing my mind was almost as enjoyable as that mind-numbing red wine you were guzzling! ;)

I hope you didn't leave the pencil behind. You should've swiped the glass as well!

the fly in the web said...

Not bad value for a fiver!

Jenny Woolf said...

Well after reading about all that drinking of red wine I would say that you don't have to look THAT far for reasons why your brain wasn't on high alert for finding answers to quiz questions!

I am very puzzled about the old dear in your bed. Unless it was you. Oh, no, it is a "she" I looked at the photo below to see if there was a clue there but I assume it wasn't the frog. A really lovely photo though of all those Spring flowers. Usually when I try to photograph spring flowers they come out looking very small and insignificant, but these are beautiful!

Adullamite said...

Carol, Indeed it was.

Lee, Swiped a glass! I'm just glad I got ought of cleaning up afterwards.

Fly, Indeed especially as my boss the next day paid the £5 for me because of my work!

Jenny, I was told the wine would help...
The trick of the flowers is to edit them so the bits you really want come up closer.



Lady Di Tn said...

LOL At least it was not a coyote date or you would be short an arm. Peace

Adullamite said...

Lady, I'm armless...