Monday 30 December 2013

National Ponderings




I was listening to an old radio programme on an old tape recorder and got pondering about something that was said.  The people of Iran see themselves as one of Asia's two great nations, themselves and China.  Everything else is regarded as the leavings of imperialism.  Quite what the Indians think about this I am not sure.  The fact is both China and Iran go back a long way, much further than Scotland, much further than most nations.  Iran dates itself right back to Cyrus the Great, the man who toppled Babylon two and a half thousand years ago.  He did this, creating one huge empire, while the Greeks were still fighting among themselves, the Egyptians had had it, and the great Europeans civilisations were still living in mud huts.  Iranians are proud of this long heritage, making ours look insignificant in return.
It is this pride in the history that stuck in my mind.  What is it about land? These folk were proud of the land they came from and it brought to mind Stone Age man and his need to place standing stones, not always in circles, as if attempting to find someplace he could 'belong' to. The standing stones commemorated the dead some say, giving him roots to his life, and we all need a root to come from. We have a need to belong to an area, a district a town, someplace we call home, the centre of our life and meaning.  Stone Age man found this in his circles and their ceremonials, possibly in the barrows he built throughout northern Europe, and Iranians look back to Cyrus and claim they have a heritage to be proud off, something politicians have not understood in recent years.  
Now as a Scot I have a history, a heritage to be proud off, not that I have ever mentioned this before or indicated Scots superiority over the rest of you as like all Scots I am too humble to do that.  I am proud of this humility!  This need to belong to a bit of land is strange as it leads to pride, the pride that considers itself better than others and demands all it can get form others. Such attitudes lead only to disaster.  In the end we all come from the same place, we are all 'Jock Tamson's Bairns,' in the end.  I am often amazed at how boastfully proud some Americans can be of their nation, especially when Soviet citizens were just as proud of theirs.  Pakistanis are proud of their nation, or at least happy to defend it if anyone, especially India, attacks it.  'Pride,' or 'belonging,' a group to be part off, a place to say 'this is mine?'   
I attempt to stand on Jesus, he told me to get off his foot the other day, and this lifts me above the nationality problem to a great degree, and it gives me a place to stand and face the world. This was not my intention but he turned up one day and changed everything.  Am I right in thinking people need a place to belong to, a street, a town, a nation a group within those based on age, sex, colour or employment?   Do we really need each other, and if so why is it so easy to dislike others who disagree? 
It's a funny old world saint, as some puppet once remarked.



.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

A truly marvellous post, I could feel the pride running down my leg and dampening my shoelaces after reading your fine patriotic speech.

If you ask me, and most people do, I can't say that I am a big fan of the Saltire or the Lion Rampant though. One is distinctly Pictish, while the other is far to bendy-at-the-knee to the monarchy.

No pleasing some folk, eh?

Lee said...

I'm a bit concerned...I hope that is just pride running down Chef Files' leg! But why it is doing so, has me confused as well as concerned!

I wish for the impossible...that we all just got on..that we had pride in the world as a whole, and in those who inhabit it, no matter where they live. I just wish humans would wake up to themselves and stop being so self-destructive; so full of hate and anger.

Those are my wishes for 2014 and for every year thereafter.

And I wish you, Adullamite, a very Happy New Year...not just for the start of it, but throughout the whole year. I hope good fortune in every aspect comes your way.

Before I go, I must say...I am proud to be an Aussie...this I have great pleasure in admitting. :)

Unknown said...

It seems rather obvious that it is quite natural for us to want to belong to someplace. For even the roamers and seekers make claims of belonging to the road and the search.

Now, there is really nothing wrong with that as long as it does not get in the way of recognizing where we were all created to spend all of eternity. Quite tragically, it often does.

Kay G. said...

Happy New Year!
It made me laugh when Jesus told you to get off his foot!

the fly in the web said...

Wherever my husband hangs his hat is home.....but I never cease to be a Scot.
A member of an obdurate and prideful race....

Adullamite said...

Chef, I like the image of Arthur Montford wrapped in a Lion Rampant! It speaks of home. The Pictish one is fine with me also, but I'm not one to complain.

Lee, You will appreciate Chef more if you read him, and keep clear of his shoes.

Jerry, Get in the way it certainly does!

Kay, Jesus never laughs at me, just shakes his head....

Fly, You man sounds better and better each time you speak of him!

Lee said...

I shall follow your advice, Adullamite...just from first glance of Chef's blog it/he looks very interesting...so I will do some reading. Anyone who enjoys a good scotch and cigar is okay in my book.

Thanks for the heads up!

Lee said...

And after reading Chef's latest post a little further...any person who enjoys Remy Martin XO and a cigar is also pretty good in my book. I love Remy Martin and it was the only cognac I ever drank. I've not had one in a while.

I even named a car after it once...I had a 1959 MG Magnette - Varitone...and I named it "Remy".

My black and white cat is named "Remy"...again for the same reason.

Relax Max said...

A happy and prosperous new year to you all.

You'll be on my mind as I take my cup of kindness soon.

(For auld lang syne.)

Adullamite said...

Lee, You silly impetuous girl!

Max, A good new year to you Max.