Friday 25 March 2011

Spring has Sprung!

.

Yesterday I shook of the Man Flu, laid aside the pile of sympathy cards (yes that was satire) and found the energy to wander outside in the sunshine. How lovely it is to walk around with a blue sky above, bright, sweet smelling newly cut grass underfoot, bright sunshine all around, blackbirds singing in the trees and daffodils swaying in the breeze. Marvellous, especially after rarely leaving the house for two weeks, to wander in warm air and espy pretty young girls exposing themselves to the world, or at least the young men who they were throwing themselves at. Nothing speaks of Spring more than women's desire to let the world see their attractive bits.  I do find however that in the late afternoon the girls look to me like, well girls!  Not 'women' as such, just kids dressed as women! How age kicks you in the teeth! The young males also disrobe in a vain attempt to persuade the lassies that they are strong. They pose on the skatepark opposite attempting to impress as they throw themselves around the obstacles with the girls watching on. The lucky ones end up in the bushes round about. It must be said here that this area has the highest teen pregnancy rate in England. The number of stupid 15 years old amazes me!  It also disappoints that they did not exist when I was at school! 
There is however a word of warning for all these sun worshippers, it's still chilly! The fact that the sun shines does not imply warmth and in the shade it can be bitter early on. Still that does not top folks calling this 'fresh' and wandering about in shorts and sunglasses as if they were already on holiday on the Spanish coast.  


Looking at old photographs gives us the comparison of fashion. In days of yore people dressed well when out and about. The men in three piece suits, watch chains showing, women with frilly hats and elegant outfits. Until the sixties folk used to be careful about how neatly they dressed in public. Sadly this is not the case in our liberal world today. It is right that people should dress as they please, it is sad that so many just look a mess, and often an expensive mess at that! The scruffy T-shirt with funny slogan and the torn jeans are displayed because they have a certain name on them and they cost a fortune! This in spite of the recession! Some, especially women and young folks, require to keep up with the fashion of the day. I am glad that I am just dressed as myself, even though people hold their nose as I pass. Mind you there are worse. Fat people wearing this clothes, sometimes trendy gear in an attempt to keep up with the rest, do not make for good viewing. Many wear to the shops outfits that are suitable for the house and garden but not for public viewing. How come we have lost that sense of discretion I wonder? Where did it go?


I enjoyed carrying my cough into the free world. I enjoyed the sights and sounds which have returned today to bless us all. I was so happy to be out yesterday that this morning I ventured early into two supermarkets to grumble about the rip off prices. Later, after catching up on all those jobs left lying, I will once again say hello to 'Brother sun,' and speak kindly to 'Sister sky.' I may end up in a 'special place I suppose, but at least I will be happy.



.

No comments: