Saturday 27 January 2024

Research

 
 
I foolishly agreed to search for a friend on Ancestry.  So, cheerfully I began the search, cheefrully I continued, until less cheerfully I could not find Joshua.  After much searching I gave up.  Yesterday I tried again, this time looking for the man's actual name!  I had asumed the name 'Josey' was short for 'Joshua' or some such but I was wrong.  They already had a 'Joshua' so called him Josey.  I suppose when you have 9 kids you lose interest in names?  
Anyway, I have been trapped here behind a laptop, finding info and screaming quietly as things went wrong, the laptop hit the wrong button, and things disappeared again.  Just like old times!
This morning I finally found a wife.  That is, she was not on the 1881 census, but as several kids were I knew she had to exist somewhere.  It appears she passed on between 1872 and 1881.  Possibly with the last child, but this I canny confirm.
Just think, 9 children all living plus 3 either miscarraige or still birth.
However, I had enough by this time, he can have what I have found and wait until next week for the rest.
I hope he realises his folks never married...
 
The Harbour Window, 1910 Stanhope Forbes
 

2 comments:

the fly in the web said...

Never been tempted to poke about in family history....might find out how grandfather came to be in Australia....

Adullamite said...

Fly, Send the details and we can have a look...