Wednesday 28 June 2023

The Pieman Calleth

 


There was a bit of a worry yesterday.  The phone rang, or at least made beeping kind of sounds, and a well spoken Scots voice was on the other end.  Clearly this was not a family member.  No indeed, this was my butcher up in Forres.  He was warning me the pies would be delivered late.  Apparently, the regular 'Parcelpost' man was off and his order had not been collected.  He assured me they would collect today.  What a nice man, what service for a small order of Steak Pies and Sausage Rolls.  
Today, around 10:20, the van arrived and a friendly driver offloaded a white box containing the long awaited pies.  Being careful regarding space in the small freezer I only obtained a handful of butcher made steak pies and sausage rolls, and these fitted nicely into the freezer, though I may have to eat some tonight.  No mince pies this time, maybe next.
Nothing else to say, and the sausage rolls look good...

Read about Scotch Pies History: Threadinburgh


5 comments:

the fly in the web said...

Pies! You lucky devil!

I enjoyed the link too....there's one thing they missed....the mutton pies of Pezenas in the south of France, a recipe brought by Clive of India when he stayed there for a time in the late eighteenth century.

The pastry is made with lard and is thin, they are made with mutton, but seasoned with a little sugar and lemon.

I ate them when visiting back in the dark ages as a student, and found them very tasty - but could not afford more than two!

Adullamite said...

Fly, The steak ones are good. Mutton however, is rare these days.

Kay G. said...

Steak pies and sausage rolls. Oh my, that sounds so good.

Kay G. said...

And I did read that link! So interesting and when it has the Scottish accent as written, I can almost understand it since I've been watching "Still Game" on TV. So funny! Wish I had a "Bridie"!

Adullamite said...

Kay, You need to try them next time you are here.

Kay, Bridie's are popular in Dundee, a different sccent again.