Friday 16 December 2022

Me, a Fall Guy?


Like the view?  
This was mine today.  At least it was after I slipped on the ice just as I stepped down out of the gate.  I made a grab for the iron railings but found myself upside down on the ice.  No harm done,  though the council will wonder why the paving slab under the ice has cracked.  I rose to my feeble feet as quickly as a panther rising to chase his prey.  An ageing, arthritic panther that is.  A passing car slowed down and waved, I waved back, and slithered off towards Tesco, walking on the road as much as possible.
I am glad I am male.  Women's bones are more susceptible to breaking as they get older.  The Infirmary in Edinburgh always had at least five women in for broken 'leg of femur,' while I worked there.  A couple of men, caused by a combination of ice and drink, were also to be found, but mostly women.  Female bones are more open to arthritis as they age, which does not help them here.
I had already been out quite safely.  Earlier I had walked via the roadway to Sainsburys and back, but as always I must go to Tesco for things only they have, and indeed much cheaper than Sainsburys.  All was well then, even though the car park had not been gritted as it usually is.  I bought what I thought needful, aware that next week the shop will be crowded from early on, and paid an enormous amount of money to the struggling supermarket.  
Having raised myself from the ground and slid around to Tesco I made a point of only obtaining what was required, so naturally I found other things also and spent another bundle of money.  Delighted that I could use the bag as a weight to help me keep my balance, or at least that was the idea.  I propelled myself slowly along the side road, and carefully over the pavement back home.  
For some reason I have several muscle pains tonight, I wonder why?


There is no more news.
There was no more post.  The postmen are clearly refusing to walk across slippery ground.  This annoys me.  I realise the weather will change on Sunday, wet rain will wash icy snow away (is there any other kind of rain but wet?), thus the postmen can get out and do their job.  Only an occasional van went by today, and they did not stop for me.
I did however, receive via Amazon, a bottle of Viking Whisky!  This came from one of my secret admirers.  The others have remained secret so far, and that for quite a few years now.  Naturally I have sent off her (cheap) present in return.  It ought to arrive about April.  

2 comments:

the fly in the web said...

I did worry about you falling on the ice while rushing out to buy Christmas novelties - like food. Hope those muscles slacken up soon.

Just stay warm indoors and imbibe your whisky...who needs bread...

I suppose you are well supplied with those pies from Forres.....

Adullamite said...

Fly, I went out this morning, and returned unscathed. Pies may arrive next week...