Thursday 15 December 2022

Card Happy


It was Sir Henry Cole who sent the first Christmas card, and then went on to organise the 'Great Exhibition' of 1851 and the Victoria and Albert museum.  Clearly a man who liked to work, he created the card as he did not have enough time to write his customary Christmas letter.  A good, simple idea, which led onto a big business opportunity.  Cole himself made a thousand cards, kept half to himself and sold the rest through the shop, creating thereby the flow of cars that cause so much pleasure and upset annually.  I suppose it is the simple idea, one that is right in front of us, that once recognised, makes a man a profit.  The yo-yo, the hula-hoop, that plastic thing people use to throw a ball for the dog, those small rubber bands that became a craze for kids the other year.  Simple things which one as simple as I never think off.  
So far I have had one card via the Royal Mail, one handed to me, and hopefully dozens in the post all containing money.  This will be a change from last year, and indeed, all the years previous to that.  With a post strike on several people have indicated they are yet to post cards!  One week to go, a months worth of mail sitting there, and they have not yet posted!  How stupid are people?  These are the types that will complain the post is slow.  I expect they complain about nurses, trains and everything else that has been on strike for long enough yet they have not noticed.
Strikes like this unknown since 1979 yet the government happy to do nothing.  What a shame we have no opposition bar the Scottish and Welsh Nationalists.



3 comments:

Kay G. said...

Sir Henry Cole! Good for him, I say even if inventing the Christmas card made him a lot of money, that's okay by me!
Hey! I mentioned you on my blog today! Hope I don't have to send YOU any money! LOL.

the fly in the web said...

Given the state of international mail here since Covid struck it's e cards for me.

Adullamite said...

Kay, You now owe me $50.

Fly, I ought t have stuck to that here also.