Saturday 4 December 2021

Slumber

So I went to sleep.
I placed my head on the pillow, pulled the blankets up over my head and sought slumber.
By quarter part midnight, or one and a half hours later, I was awake.  
Soon sleep returned.
Then an hour later I woke, my right arm indicating pain, I turned over.
Fortyfive minutes later Iwas awake, I could not breathe, no air.  Window opened slightly to the cold fog outside and I dozed again.
Thirty minutes later I had to turn over again.  
My left leg hurt, pain in the thigh turn back again.
An hour later a slammed door as neighbours mate left for home woke me, and I think half the town also.
I was tired enough to soon return to sleep. 
Then a headache woke me.
Soon it was once again sleep.
Then the arm again gave pain so it was turn over time.
By 3:45 am I was again awake,the other leg had decided cramp was in order.
Sleep.
Five minutes past four and it's off to the loo.
No sleep.
Turn this way and that.
Listen to radio iplayer.
No sleep.
Radio off.
Thoughts crowd in, all bad.
The world and my faults pile up in front off me.
No sleep.
Radio again, nothing worth listening to.
No sleep.
It is five am, the street lights have come on again.
No sleep.
The radio bores me, music does not fit the mood, worries about the day ahead, all false, pile in.
The radio drones on, men crossing the Sahara desert for fun!
Suddenly it is five past six in the morning, cars move about outside.
I cannot return to sleep.
More radio.
Turn this way, that hurts, turn that way, that hurts.
Almost seven in the morning.
No chance of sleep now.
I glance at clock it says 7:48!!!
I attempt to rise.
I glance at clock, it says 8:17!!...
I rise, and for some reason are grumpy all day...

2 comments:

the fly in the web said...

Amazing how often you can toss and tirn all night and then drop off into a deep sleep when it is time to be waking. I think the universe is telling us something...probably to sleep all day to avoid the news.

Adullamite said...

Fly, I'm on it!