Tuesday 19 February 2019

Kids Day


I opened the doors at ten and fell under the crush of kids, mums, push chairs, dads, grans and granddads who were waiting outside.  We never stopped and by 11 am I had had to reprint all the paper 'trails' we were giving out, refill all the 'stickie' labels and still they kept coming!
My reckoning claims around a hundred thousand came in today but this might be inaccurate.  The fact that they were still coming in long after I left at 2 pm tells us that we touched on a popular subject this time.  
I was weary when I arrived, an hour short of sleep, and was posted giving out the trails and setting folks in the right direction.  My knees did not like standing all day but I really enjoyed today just the same.  Most of the kids were young ones, mostly under 9 years, a great many under 5 years and they were easy to please, few were unhappy and for most this did not last.
A magician was on hand with card tricks which proved popular, one lass aided the kids making cupcakes, she had to run back to Tesco for more six times but the first thing all kids liked was 'cupcakes!'  In the big hall many more made magic wands, each and every one in the hands of a three year old designed to 'take someone's eye out.'  
This I think was an excellent day even though the quiz was too difficult for most and I had no clue as to what it was about.  Still they all appeared happy, mums and dads, including the dad who was constantly chasing his 3 year old this way and that, all smiled and were determined like the kids to get a free sticker at the end of the day.  It is amazing how getting a sticker cheers a small child!
I am now attempting to find something nourishing for my hulk.  The kids will sleep well tonight, mum and dad will sleep well tonight but none will sleep as well as I will!
Wake me on Thursday!

 

6 comments:

Dave said...

Sounds a great day out for all, well thought out, and I bet many of the kids will have lasting memories of the museum visit.

Adullamite said...

Dave, The kids all appeared happy, as did the mums. It is the staff that now are recovering!

the fly in the web said...

All you needed was the Bash Street Kids...

Adullamite said...

Fly, That would have closed us down!

Jenny Woolf said...

I always think what a great museum that sounds to be. It must be right in the heart of the community, for people to flood in like that. Well done you for helping the museum to continue to supply such a good service!

Adullamite said...

Jenny, The intention is to be part of the town. It is surprising how few know about us. The mums and kids do of course and many will remember their visit. I enjoyed meeting them!