Monday 28 August 2017

Holiday Monday


Morning arrived quite early today as it often does.  The early sun inspired me so much that long before eight I was engaged in exercising my knees to a painful level.  The stretching ensured that I had therefore to sit and ache for a while before stuffing myself with peanut butter covered brown (organic) bread before realising this was not the best option.


In an effort to avoid stiffening up I went for a walk down the hill.  Here stand houses dating back to the 13 -1400s.  This one stands close to a similar effort that forms the back end of a house on the corner.  I suspect that these once served workers from the nearby fields or possibly in the many weaver connected trades that flourished down this street.  I also suspect that once these had thatched roofs and were not so dainty as they now appear.  I suspect also they cost less that the vast price they go for today.  
Street Details


Essex houses, made of timber and plaster, often have patterns such as this on the walls sometimes covering the entire wall.  Whether the design has any significance I cannot say having found no information of the houses I pictured.  How long they have been there is also hard to tell.  These building go back several hundred years and have found many uses, Inns, weavers, dyers, various cloth trades (the 'Bays and Says' of the Flanders folk who worked here in the past were famous. No one receiving these goods checked them as they knew they would be correct and they would not be cheated.) and of course one pub remains but the shops have gone with the weavers and their cloth.

   
This fellow and his mate has been gracing the doorway off 'Wentworth House' since the 17th century but the house itself probably began back in the 1400s.  Over the years, as with all the others, it has spread from a mere hall, added rooms, workrooms and then another storey on top and until quite recently was in a mess.  Restoration has given someone an expensive but historical work of art.  



The smaller houses go back a bit also, these have interesting but not always genuine ancient items upon them.  Genuine in age maybe but possibly in some cases recovered from elsewhere.  This is one of three in a row, well decorated, brightly painted and costing a small fortune with a very busy main road outside the window.  Why do people buy there?



My limbs told me to head homeward so I eased my eyes by bathing them in greenery by the river.  This is a well kept spot but someone had chucked some files away at one place.  I was tempted, not to greatly, to jump in and seek my fortune but managed not to.  


Someone has been tending these trees for many years but I know not who.  This was merely a place for the river to overflow (sorry Texas) and now contains recent housing costing just under half a million.  I am sure they all have a  stock of sandbags at the rear nowadays.  



The reflection makes this picture a bit abstract and it takes some looking to understand it.  Lovely and quiet today, no kids yelling, no couples groping, no passers-by,  just the birds and the slow flowing river.  Flowing so slow I thought it had stopped.  Recently there has been a plan to put a number of (expensive) houses across the other side.  This has caused upset and will certainly spoil this walk and the view over the other side.  Money however speaks volumes!



This is what happens when thistles explode!  So be careful when passing them.


Having exercised, walked, eaten and slept I now sit here aching all over wondering why I bothered!  Tomorrow it is museum day and the last week of the holidays.  I expect thousands will come in tomorrow and many mums begin to long for the peace and quiet next week.  I will be longing for it also by lunchtime!
 

4 comments:

Lee said...

Great photos, Mr. Ad-Man.

I slept in this morning - far longer than I intended...and far longer than I have in a long, long time. I think it was mainly because I'm fed-up with a few things at present....one being taken for granted...but I shan't go into details, other than to say I dislike being taken for granted!!

Dave said...

An interesting post Mr A. I hadn't realised how big the weaving industry was around Braintree. We went over to Essex in May and enjoyed it and found some lovely old buildings. I dont think Essex as a county sells itself well as a tourist destination especially when it comes to interesting features like these. Many people who have not been there have a very stereotypical idea of Essex, which is completely wrong.

Unknown said...

So, having been originally built in 1951, our house is really not all that ancient--huh?

Adullamite said...

Lee, Forgive and move on, or run them over with the car I say!

Dave, Many weavers came from Flanders area way back then, moving into London and Essex. Suffolk and other places famous for wool traded for years with that area. Lavenham, Suffolk, well worth passing through if you like old houses. You are right about tourism, much to see around here but the area from London to Southend and on contains too many 'Essex boys and girls' for some. Great county to visit.

Jerry, Your house is new, it is you that is old!