Friday 17 January 2014

Fresh Air



Today I decided to return to a lifestyle from the past.  I had begun to wonder what difference it made whether I listened to the world or not.  That is my reading of the press, all covering the same story mostly in the same small minded manner, the radio with the questioners ignoring the answers and the interviewee lying in his or her teeth, and the TV talking about some happening on a soap opera or a Saturday night 'spectacular.'  I remember that in 1978 I got rid of the TV and went without until 1986, and then mostly for the football and news only.  During the time I read a lot, certainly the bible was the main source but other things also, and of course I sauntered of eagerly and daily to work.  To me that is fresh air from the pap that claims us daily.  So I thought let us improve my life by using only the BBC website, or short bulletins for news and spend some time working out what we are here for.  We are certainly not here just to linger over the 'fear' on offer from the 'Daily Mail,' nor the dross on offer elsewhere.  Listening to George Osborne the other morning was not doing my head any favours, the steam also covering the windows in condensation, and I can do without he or missing out on real life. Switching his nonsense off produced an opportunity to experience 'fresh air!' 
The only way we can change parliamentarians is by contacting them and expressing our views, and not expecting any change there, or by voting in an appropriate manner.  Recently I contacted our Tory MP and threw in the thought that he was 'very brave voting for the 'bedroom tax' with UKIP being so strong in this area,'  and letting the thought sink in.  Be nice but catty I say.  Will anything change?  No.  It lets him know how some feel however.  The only other changes we can make are within the areas around us and within our competences.  We cannot change 'The' world, but we can change 'the world around us.'  
The best way to change the world is by inner change within our selves.  For me this means allowing Jesus to change me, for while I assume myself to be perfect the strong desire to strangle the woman in front of me at the supermarket this morning indicates a shortfall in the patience department, though I was right!  A quick bible check indicates placing her in a trolley and sending her down the slope was the incorrect response.  I believe she was recovered just outside of Chelmsford.  Having proved I may require adjustment I feel the constant negativity of the media does not help.  Often I see the troubles of the world and look up at the sky above, the clouds continue whatever the situation, seasons roll on, time passes and our troubles are smaller than they appear, mostly. While serious situations arise contemplating eternity, and the creator thereof appears to me to be a better option than allowing the world to crush us.  He has seen it all before and knows where it is heading. He has a plan, using  a shopping trolley in an inappropriate manner apparently is not part of this plan.      

The view is from Cramond, looking over the Forth to the distant Ochil Hills.
.

10 comments:

Lee said...

I think the shopping trolley idea is a good one; but I have some other good ones, too....most of them illegal, so I won't share them with you1 ;)

Adullamite said...

Lee, I think I've tried some of those already....

the fly in the web said...

I do feel tempted to ask the Almighty for His views on an appropriate way to use the shopping trolley to dispose of the woman...but the modem might be blown out by a lightning strike...

I wonder what I asked Him last time this happened...

Adullamite said...

Fly, I feel sure crashed modems are the result of many shopping trips...

soubriquet said...

Flee at once, All is discovered.

Carol said...

Oh :( I thought I had left a comment ~ but realise that Chrome crashed on your webpage several times and I gave up. Typing this using Safari :)

soubriquet said...

"On Safari, with Armand and Michaela Dennis". Television from my childhood. Not a web browser then though.
(that programme and others like it, Daktari, Hans and Lottie Haas, and Jacques Cousteau's explorations are probably why I always wanted a Land Rover, way back when. I associated them with exploration, adventure, I still do).

However, this comment is in order to give Adullamite a link to some historical reading I found fascinating and previously unknown, suppressed history perhaps, counter to how government wants us to remember.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:
We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool -- you bet that Tommy sees!

http://libcom.org/history/1919-the-luton-riots

We're still playing the same game with our soldiers, despite all the promises.

Adullamite said...

Soub, I am on my skateboard as we speak!

Carol, So I make others crash eh? Typical of my luck!

Soub, Armand and Michaela Dennis, Hans and Lottie Haas, nature programmes in Black and white very much better than what is on offer today! Super stuff.
Ah yes the Luton riots in 1919? There were similar in Manchester where men could not get their jobs back. Many soldiers were bereft on returning, officers and all! Interesting read. The embankment in London was home to many men in uniform for a long time. 'homes fit for heroes' were cancelled by the Tory chancellor as there was no money. The usual shocking way to treat soldiers after war.
So, you read communist rags eh? Don't let Texas find out!

Unknown said...

I don't hear much about keeping a stiff upper lip coming from your isles these days. Have I not been listening?

Adullamite said...

Jerry, My lips are always stiff.....it's the cold!