Thursday 18 October 2012

Routine Ruined




Since Monday life has been busy!  My routine was disturbed immediately by the laptop having hiccups and forcing me to spend time sorting that out.  Thereafter I began to enjoy the day, filling out the day with things left undone, and sorting the TV.  Tuesday, as I began the joyful day attending to one of my war websites, was interrupted by a call to fill in at the museum.  This I gladly did, as I am really nice.  Having failed to complete that task and breaking the tools involved I came home again.  Before I left I was sweet talked into returning for an hour on Wednesday afternoon.  This I did as I am still nice.  However the websites still awaited, and nought was done.  I managed some stuff but by now my routine was gone, I am due three afternoon naps by now, and today, when I ought to be asleep or finishing the outstanding works I find I just canny be bothered.  So I watched 'Time Team' on telly and made a tasteless mince instead.


Much time has been spent watching the BBC Parliament Channel these past couple of days, which has also interrupted the routine.  Not just the showpiece 'Prime Ministers Question Time,' which is indeed all show and nonsense, but the other debates, often in a quiet chamber, which show our elected representatives discussing sensibly the point at issue.  While it is often ignored by the government in the end we can see thoughtful opinions expressed on a range of issues, freely and sometimes to good effect.  On occasion this has been boring as technical points are discussed which only 'experts' can understand, on occasion extremely funny as serious points are made amid much banter across the floor.  Some are experts at rhetoric, some dull, some worldly wise.  I forgot how interesting it can be, and the long established routine of the House of ages past still followed.  The doors are locked when the result of a division is announced, and opened only when that is put through.  The four tellers bowing their heads, and possibly feeling self important, and the doors unlocked and life continues.  The committees can also be seen as well as the more sedate but no less wise House of Lords.  In spite of the ages there are some canny folk sitting there.


You will have noted, and read HERE that Scotland's referendum re remaining tied down by England has been announced.  In late 1914, the anniversary of Bannockburn, the Scots will vote for independence and stop carrying the imperialist English for the first time since 1707.  You will have rejoiced at this news I know.

.

5 comments:

Relax Max said...

I didn't know you had such interest in politics. I can't say that I admire that, but I am surprised. And good for you for your selfless contributions to the museum. Bravo. I mean that.

The great approaching vote was also reported in part here, much the same as you've said -- about the vote occurring on the anniversary of some battle or other. The American news got the voting year wrong, of course. The only troubling thing (which you didn't have time to include in your post) was that, even with allowing 12-16 year olds to vote, there is still only a 30-something percent favoring the issue. Still plenty of time before 1914 rolls around, of course.

Adullamite said...

Max, 'Some battle or other.....?' The idea of 16 & 17 year old's voting is a bit much for me also, but according to the procedure only about 40,000 can do so. It's daft mind. In 1974 the vote was split into 30%s. Insufficient for change. This may well be different, especially if 'Dave' remains in charge.

the fly in the web said...

I used to attend Parliament...in the days before the public were seen as a threat to its security...and would listen to debates while waiting for a meeting to start.
The ones who impressed me were the people who'd made themselves experts in a field and who, unlike trained monkey experts, could explain detail and not be bamboozled by 'technical' answers meant to befog.

Relax Max said...

Well, good luck to Scotland in getting what they really want. And in paying for whatever it is.

Adullamite said...

Fly There are a few like that.

Max, PAY........?