Tuesday 16 October 2012

Another World Cup Fiasco



Four games out of ten played and we are out already!  I remember the time when Scotland always qualified for tournaments and then got knocked out by a lucky goal from one of the big boys.   England usually struggling against small teams to qualify, and not always making it. Now we don't get to the finals!  Tonight a very strong Belgian side, the best for a long while, removed the last chance we had.  Once more we gurn and bear it!  Once more the press stick their knives in the manager (and he probably ought to go now) once more the media line up one of their friends for the job, Walter & Alec look most likely I'd say.  Once more our stock sinks in the world, once more we wear our favourite frowns.  Wodhouse got his comment "It has never been hard to tell the difference between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine." from listening to Scotsmen after a football match I'm sure. There are few rays of sunshine here tonight.
Still, worse things happen at sea, don't they? 
.

6 comments:

the fly in the web said...

He's the master of language in my view.
But I put Scotland's defeats down to the singing of Flower of Scotland.
What a dirge! How can you go out to annihilate the foe after that...it's like fighting with a portion of badly cooked cloutie dumpling in the wame!

Bring back Scots wa hae...

Adullamite said...

Fly, The song is great, I often sing it to my neighbours!
They call the police.....

Kay G. said...

I like "The Drunk Scotsman" song myself.

Jenny Woolf said...

Never knew of that quote, it made me laugh. Not being a follower of football though I don't have anything useful to say, although I am sorry the team has been so disappointing.

Relax Max said...

It's hard to find a Scotsman WITHOUT a grievance. Never mind sunshine.

Adullamite said...

Kay, I've never seen a drunk Scotsman.....

Jenny, Wodehouse quotes always make me laugh.

Max, I don't know what you mean.......?