Thursday 19 July 2012

The Dream





One of the good things about the internet is the dissemination of facts and news, and facts and news that are often left out of the mainstream media at that!  'Social media, ' which usually means   'Facebook' or 'Twitter,' and the many forums that cover any and every subject, added to the umpteen billion blogs, both good and bad, can have social benefits that were not available a few years ago.  Even newspaper readers are now better informed simply by trawling the worlds press for differing viewpoints.


An example of this was the pressure put upon Scottish football chairmen by their fans during the Rangers debacle. It was the use of 'social media' to generate a powerful lobby to ensure the best possible outcome for all.  Possibly this has not yet achieved the best outcome, but it has come close.  Elsewhere we have seen the 'Arab Spring' flower partly due to an educated populace using technology to drive through change in several nations.  These weapons, more powerful than guns, have so disturbed some that they are closely controlled or banned, as in China or Iran.  The one thing a dictatorship fears is truth, and weapons such as blogs, twitter and facebook can reveal the truth about situations.  The Reformation was powered by the written word with an abundance of pamphlets flying here and there.  Information during much of the twentieth century was found only in newspapers and books, and similarly to those previous pamphlets we had to choose who to believe.  Most sadly choose the easiest way to avoid trouble, often preferring the papers that say what they wish to hear, 'Daily Mail' reader like.  There are more social media than papers, and the variety of opinions are endless but we can always offer the facts to help put things right, can't we? 


.

11 comments:

Jenny Woolf said...

I've been thinking that perhaps all the scandals and sleaze and general incompetence that seems to be flying around at present, might have always flown around. Except that now everyone knows, and before we were kept in ignorance.

But having said that, I rarely find that I read anything on "social media" which illuminates a problem. I would for instance dearly love to know what the real story was about Liam fox and what has happened with his friend. Why nobody's been asking Locog what their role was in this olympic fiasco. Too many things are given massive publicity but they are still forgotten in a couple of days and we are still none the wiser long term.

Moan, groan, rant. The alternative possibility is that I read the wrong kind of blogs or something. I just don't know.

Mo said...

You've touched on something very serious here. Social media can sometimes make a postive difference, however it can also serve to entrench biggoted or incorrect views. I often go to events where the "research" is from the internet with no verification of the facts. Governments want to control the internet but will never be able to do so. The genie is out of the bottle but we don't know where the wild free genie is taking us. I feel both good and bad. I wish I could find my own genie to bring me back in 500 yrs.
On another note isn't this a bit late for you? Shouldn't you be in your bye bye box by now? You are an early bird Yes?

Relax Max said...

"Reformation?" Are they changing your football rules again?

The Rangers, the Muslim Brotherhood, and Martin Luther all in the same paragraph. You've outdone yourself. I love the variety of opinions you mention, and yours too.

Mike Smith said...

I've noticed that ITV and BBC increasingly use quotes from Twitter rather than make the effort to interview some people. Lazy journalism or a sign of the times?

Adullamite said...

Jenny, Nice to see you are 'socially aware!' Corruption at high, and indeed low, levels has always been part of life, we are all sinners you understand! However this society should be able to expose and control this. A free press is therefore a must, however the media has it's own bias instead and only half truths come out.
That's why social media is so helpful, but finding the right media is not always easy. There again libel laws can restrict some free speech also.

Adullamite said...

Mo, Indeed it can go both ways but I was concentrating on the better side of things. propaganda is with us always, and in social media also. That's why it is important to speak the truth, although this does not make you popular.

My body clock is wrong, I keep getting up late, 6:30 this morning, and age is unsettling my rhythms......

Max, Condensed thought....

Mike, The media employee cheap staff and Twitter and cut & paste make for quicker deadline reaching. A story is second to filling space, and that takes time away from real journalism. The C4 man did however do a lot of journalism on Rangers, that was not Twitter led.

Kay G. said...

It's a bit sad how much that first picture looks like me!

Adullamite said...

Kay, Looks like all of us I think.....

A. said...

Did we all think we'd make a fortune? I did, of course. I will tell you the secret of my success if you send me ... Actually $10 would seem good.

Adullamite said...

A, Your blog is worth lot's.
Unfortunately my check book has been lost....

Kay G. said...

No, I mean that first drawing looks like me PHYSICALLY, the chubby eager face with the dark hair. I don't make any money off of my blog, so that does not apply to me.