Friday 27 July 2012

Opening Ceremony



So I turn on the opening ceremony and am confronted with an overenthusiastic songster, standing on a false hill, surrounded by people masquerading as ancient Englishmen, and I mean English not British, and am I captivated? er NO!  This is followed by the pratt Andrew Marr, again overacting, while browsing the history of London.  Then more pap follows while the 'actual' ceremony begins. I noticed among the bad actors a cricket match, supposedly taking place in the late 18th or early 19th century.  So why focus on a wee black boy?  Do you really think he would be with the lads playing cricket at that time?  Poor soul would be in the hold of a ship dying as he crossed the Atlantic not playing cricket!  

Now you may be surprised to hear that I am not a fan of opening ceremonies.  As far as I can tell they have as much relationship to the event they open as I do to a multi-millionaire play boy!  Tonight is no difference.  London Games ought to celebrate London, and Team GB (or Greater England as they prefer it to be) should reflect the nation.  All this does is show how badly History is taught and how Greater England is all that matters.  Another over the top waste of time that will no doubt get the designer a knighthood while  a move to Afghanistan might be more useful.  

I note the industrial revolution is given the overdone treatment and the suffragettes (terrorists that they were) are given a show, but Wesley and Whitfield and others who transformed the lives of millions of those downtrodden are ignored.  How PC is this?  

No, I cannot go on!  I have been agitated for weeks now with this virus and to sit through such rubbish is too much!  Call me a cynic if you must, but in the middle of a recession we do need a party or two, but we should at least get a well organised one!  What this has to do with the UK, sorry, GB, I know not, it certainly has nothing to do with the Olympics!  Garn, what a load of rubbish!  

I'm off to read a book, 'Grumpy Old Men!'


(There's weeks of this to come!)

13 comments:

Ralph Laughton said...

Totally agree - what a load of rubbish!

Kay G. said...

I have already seen just a few photos from the opening ceremonies and it really looks too Hollywood to me.
Do English people still say OTT for over the top? That is the expression that came to my mind.

Mike Smith said...

Talking of books...I'll be sending you a copy of mine in the next week or two.

Adullamite said...

Ralph, Well said that man!

Kay, Pap indeed.

Mike, A new book, you kept that quiet!

soubriquet said...

I am delighted to be able to inform you, that I TOTALLY missed all of it. Oh the joys of having no television, I am blessed, twice blessed,thrice even.

As I so often try to remind you, though you self-identify as a scotsman, actually you're a ukaininian, and you'll have to get used to it. Try not to be a such a curmudgeon about our glorious nation. Oh bollocks, I overdid it there, didn't I?
Truth is, I don't give a wotsit for the whole olympic dream, it seems to me to be a conspiracy of the overclass to tell me I should feel good about myself or my rulers when some young creature who has lived a pathologically obsessive life, forsaking all else for training and competition, manages to do something no human ever needs to do in a fraction of a second faster or further than somebody else who speaks a different lingo to me.I truly don't care. I neither know nor care about the finer rules. These people, these athletes, in a few brief years what will they be? Will they carry on the myth that jumping into a sandpit is somehow an admirable activity? Will they simply brainwash other children to think that swimming two miles before breakfast every morning of their young lives will insulate them from the chaos of life?
Will they continue the myth that it's all about being supremely fit?
When their joints are screwed through years of being required to operate at significant overloads.

I'm a yorkshireman. why would I cheer for somebody from essex? In fact, where I come from, we suspect people from Doncaster, they're different, tha knaws.

No. I don't support team GB. It's all got nothing to do with me.

Adullamite said...

Ah Soub, a voice of reason in this dark world.

alan1704 said...

Well sorry to disappoint you lot but i watched the whole thing and it was long-winded, but the fireworks were great. (Pity they weren't aimed at the smiling oaf David Cameron).

Poor old David Beckham did his James Bond Impersonation, Seb Coe looked like someone out of Trumpton or Chigley and Steve Redgrave like an extra fro a carry on movie.

All that was missing was Simon Cowell or the Spice Girls - Now that's a thought

Bring on the Archery, a real Sport!

soubriquet said...

I will only consider the archery a real sport if they run around aiming at each other.

Back in the good old days, we brits were the meanest artillery around, with our longbow archers, but, you know, they had to be able to hit anything at varying ranges and elevations.
Now it's true, I know a bowyer who still makes the real thing, but most bows now are a marvel of high-tech alloys and composite materials, incomprehensible to the men of Agincourt, an olympic engagement at which our archery team scored gold.

The Koreans. I'd bet on them.

Adullamite said...

Mametz, Archery would be interesting, especially with moving targets

Soub, 'We Brits?' You mean English imperialist longbowmen. Nobody could equal them at the time. Well except at Bannockburn of course.

soubriquet said...

Most of the best longbowmen were Welsh, Cymru am Byth!

Adullamite said...

Soub, Typical Welsh! Selling out to the English!!!

Relax Max said...

I agree with Soub that the Olympics are a wonderful idea that bring us all together in peace and harmony, and also agree with you that the opening ceremonies were breathtaking. Of course, we got them on a 12 hour delay, or such, which gave the TV advert boys time to edit out all the time-consuming stuff. Them chimneys come up really fast in our version. And the part they inserted about the Yanks saving Scotlandshire at the end of the Great War sure spiced it up and replaced the kids on the beds' shameless Heath Care plugs. I enjoyed your parachuting queen immensely and marvel that she can still do that sort of thing. Some say it was faked, by I know better. Editing for commercials does make the Parade of Nations whip on by faster, I must say. Good show all around. I only hope they will give proper coverage to the women's beach volleyball later on, and that they don't set their cameras up overhead.

Adullamite said...

Max, Ah adverts, where would US TV be without them?