Friday 25 November 2011

Friday Night Entertainment



There was a time when I couldn't wait for the No 17 bus to arrive.  At 7:30 on the dot, except when it was late as it was most Friday nights, I would clamber aboard and head for the bright city lights.  Usually this meant a pub in Edinburgh's  Rose Street called the 'Goblet.'  There we would carouse along with other citizens as we wasted our money and lives on lager at one shilling and elevenpence a pint. Oh that was living!  Actually no it wasn't but there you are.  Gordon Brown was one of the residents of the lounge, although we didn't know he was Gordon brown until many years later.  He was just one of the student oiks who sat behind the door. Nice blokes but clearly students as they had more to drink than we could afford!  Friday nights around the world remains the same for many. Seeking the life of adventure, company, friends, entertainment and jollity they crowd the city centres, the pubs and clubs and other places of 'entertainment.' Once I could not wait to get out and join the happy throng and not be trapped in the house. Friday, and Saturdays for that matter, meant I had to do something 'out there, I could not be inside while 'life' happened and I missed it  My life needed to be where it was all at, even if it wasn't actually, but at least I was there when life didn't happen.


I was cogitating on this earlier tonight as I happily browsed the 48 page 'Tesco Big Price Drop' brochure,  selecting bargains with which to fill my kitchen cupboards. Rejecting the page full of '£1 OFF' vouchers as the products so reduced were not worth having even if free I checked the prices of a wide variety of special offers, all of which are way over the cost of the 'Own Brand' versions, even when reduced. Comparing the price on the 'Jacobs CLUB' with the price of 'Raisin and Lemon Pancakes' I suddenly realised that I was an old woman.  I ought to have known this as it is something that has been pointed out to me quite often before. By 'quite often' I actually mean daily since around 1960.  Before that I was just 'stupid brat!'  In spite of all the evidence to the contrary I have continued to ignore this rather obvious revelation even though I now have a collection of Supermarket 'Special Offers' leaflets going back to 2001. Doesn't everyone keep theirs....? Man how prices have changed!  So here I am no longer concerned with the bright lights nor the drink that makes them brighter, the attractions of the world appear to me to be empty, worthless and stupidly expensive.  Yet I am happier in many ways now than I was then.  Life is strange, innit....?



 Oops, 8:45 pm, almost time for the cocoa.......        



.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you weren't so funny I'd cry in my beer.

Jenny Woolf said...

At least you don't have a collection of green shield stamps :)

Unknown said...

If it makes you feel any better, I think of you as being a stupid brat a lot more often than an old woman.

Adullamite said...

Leaz, You think this funny...?

Jenny, er, now you mention it....

Adullamite said...

Fish, Sadly I laughed out at that, you swine!

Anonymous said...

You are even funnier this morning...

Adullamite said...

I'm often a bit funny in the mornings Leaz...