Tuesday 20 September 2011

Tuesday Rant

.

The trip into the big town yesterday left two imprints on my bitter and twisted mind.  The first came when the chap who's time I waste for half an hour or so informed me that he was being moved to a different situation.  From next week he will be dealing with the 18-24 year olds as there is a big problem there. The problem is simple, they don't turn up!  Large numbers of unemployed youth are not bothering to arrive on time, attend the meetings, or do the courses on offer and the reason is they just 'don't want to!'  Now I recall  that I felt a similar attitude when in my teens however family pressure (work or stave) 'encouraged'  me to work badly in the places I was employed.  The girls throwing themselves at me also helped of course.  Oh yes they did!  Today however it is apparent that there is indeed a type who do not wish to do anything and apparently are getting away with it.  These young folk, always referred to as 'underclass' by the right wing press, do appear happy to live of the state and do nothing but take drugs, play with the girls and enjoy life.  Hmmm maybe they have something after all?  However this lot will find themselves off the programme in the next couple of weeks and possibly with a loss of dole money.  That will please the 'Daily Mail' reader. Strange how every person over 25, aged, disabled, redundant or just plain stupid (what you looking at me for?) always turns up for appointments, does what is asked and actually looks for employment of some sort, and not just for the money.  Is it just an age thing or is it society as it is offered today I wonder?  Age does change the responsible attitude however the kids usually have at least one parent and they appear not to care either.  I wonder if it is just life as she is lived, which brings me on to the 'Metro.'


The 'Metro' is a free paper given out at railways stations and found littering the seats at every stop.  No-one appears willing to actually take the thing home!  I picked one up yesterday and found it full of adverts and showbusiness news,  celebs activities and page after page of nothingness presented as important!  Is it just me being old or is it that the reality presented to us today is a sham, and nothing but?  It was on page 25 I discovered some news, floods in Pakistan.  Thousands homeless and many dead, yet a Rap 'artist' banned from 'The 'X' Factor' precedes this by several pages.  Age changes us but what filled the pages was nothing but emptiness to me.  The world is turning into plastic and things that really matter are fading fast behind a false image.  'The 'X' Factor' type shows, with their overhyped audience, the false voting system and the 'star' who invariably claims to be 'gay' a year later when the money runs out, offers a 'plastic' world.  Of course such shows do have a place, but it seems to me this is all on offer.  In the sixties life was full of revolution.  The false was to be stripped away and a new, better life was to be found.  It was of course a delusion, human nature never changes, but it was an effort to improve life as well as enjoy it.  Today is all about 'Self!'  Liberalism has trapped us in a  world of self satisfying, emotion led, wealth deserving life.  'If it feels good do it, ' has led us into 'If you want it have it,' and the consequences are not thought through.  Our forefathers were lucky.  In their day they had wars and depressions and a need to build a better life to ensure reality was in front of them.  Today we have had years of wealth, all our basic needs attended to, and now live rudderless and lost in a sea of sham.




.      

8 comments:

Jenny Woolf said...

I think that perhaps your comment and thoughts are starting to match what a lot of people think, not just the daily Mail reader. We are living in changing times, I believe - or wtih changing attitudes anyway.

Anonymous said...

'twas ever thus' though. Orwell did the schtick about proles being mostly concerned about lotteries and shallow entertainment in 'Nineteen Eighty-Four' and the Ancient Romans had Bread and Circuses.
While X-Factor and vacuous celeb culture mean sweet zip-all to me,it fills time between birth and death for others.

You worked in a place that employed blind girls????

(runs away giggling)

red dirt girl said...

warn me - is it the end of the world yet?? I'm in agreement but have to echo ken, societies have debauched themselves since the beginnings of civilization. I sometimes feel like we've all lost our way ....

xxx

Adullamite said...

Jenny, I cannot decide if it's the world or just age and me sick of the sham.

Ken, Indeed it was ever thus, but it is abundant today.
Wot dya mean, blind girls....!!!!

RDG, It's the end of the world! I am off out into the street with my placard.

Mike Smith said...

Good points well made - apart from the girls throwing themselves at you bit...

Adullamite said...

Mike, I thought that was the best bit....

Relax Max said...

"Sea of Sham."

Sounds like a good rap. Thanks.

I mean a pome.

Today we all have years of wealth;
Our basic needs attended.
Now we live all rudderless
Lost in a sea of sham,
Our arses all upended.

Adullamite said...

Max, Poetry indeed!