Friday 11 February 2011

Egypt

.

What now for Egypt? President Mubarak takes his leave, moved out by the army it appears. However the army who backed him will not wish to continue in power yet there are no logical political appointees waiting in the wings. Political parties were discouraged, the only organised group being the Muslim Brotherhood and most apparently do not wish for them to rule. Will another dictator arise from the army? Will democratic elections occur? The word 'democracy' is much used and mostly abused in this world. What chance does it have in Egypt tonight? This is the Middle East not the West. People think differently in this part of the world and do not see the world as we do. What happens if such a movement arises in Saudi Arabia? Would this allow bin Laden to return? I doubt it, but it may well lead to a bloodbath in a civil war there. All hangs on a thread, yet nobody knows who controls that thread bar God. A week is a long time in politics and the world this time next week will be a very different place.




Ah the beauty of nature. Spoilt only by a few plastic bags and the occasional bright orange barrier nicked from a workman's site of course. The birds singing in the trees, the early buds appearing on the trees, the gray clouds lowering overhead threatening rain, just right for this time of year. I thought this, somewhat light, picture of the country was better than the passport picture of myself I had to obtain today. £5 for five from a small booth in the town centre. £5 I thought, I could fly to Barcelona for than on 'Easyjet!' The things we are forced to do. Still, I reckon I have kept my handsome feature very well, and I don't look more than 25. Some things, beauty for instance, never change.   


.

5 comments:

Mike Smith said...

The change in Egypt is reminiscent of the end of the Cold War 20 years ago. I hope better times lie ahead.

red dirt girl said...

Thank you for the update on Egypt. The photo is appealing... going on holiday ??? good for you, you handsome devil.
xxx

Anonymous said...

Egypt, I almost have wanted a blackout on the topic it's been such a circus. It's all so willy-nilly from the protests to the stepping down. If a good framework for government isn't in place it may very well blow up in their faces. But the key is God is in control and we can/must rest in that. What can we do except watch and pray.

Martyn said...

Piecing the two parts of your post together I assume you're off to Cairo on a very cheap holiday.

Take a bag of stones with you and sell them over there, you should at least get your passport money back.

Adullamite said...

Mike, The Cold War was safer, we knew who had what!

RDG, I admire your taste. xx

Leaze, We shall soon know.

Martyn, I went to Israel just before the 1st Gulf war. Great in some ways as there were no visitors but most was closed!