Tuesday 14 July 2009

They Have Lost Her

When my mother died early on Saturday morning she had not been in the hospital for twelve hours. Under Scots law this means a death certificate cannot be issued. I am assuming a report is made as we were then told that this would be passed to the Procurator Fiscals office (Google it!) and then a decision would be made whether a Post Mortem was required or if the certificate could be issued.

This would be passed to my niece, she would then discuss with the undertaker the arrangements, and an attempt would be made to fit in with the minister and the crematorium. Naturally, being our family, things are going wrong. For one they have lost her! The paperwork (a yellow form) has not appeared in the Procurator Fiscals office. They have looked and found none. My niece has not thought of phoning the hospital and enquiring from that end, as some ward clerk is probably still sitting on it, and so we await developments again tomorrow morning. Add to this the minister leaving on Saturday for two weeks holiday! While he is willing to fit in as much as he can, including Saturday morning, it would be difficult to find a place for refreshments afterwards and anyway I for one think this would be a bit of a rush and am opposed to rushing this!

Tonight I attempted to book a flight on Easyjet and with each touch of the keyboard the costs rose even more than I had expected. That is irrelevant as it just has to be done. However, as I planned how to rob the bank or mug old ladies to pay for this I had a problem. The printer, which printed OK the other day, has once again refused to print! I suspect the PC and the printer are not talking to each other. However this means too much work for tonight and I have done what I can.

When my sister informed me that she was missing we considered whether she really had gone missing. It crossed our minds that maybe, just maybe, she had got out of bed the other morning and found another woman to whom she could chat. Possibly the wrong lass has been declared dead and my mum is now sitting amongst a pile of empty cups chatting happily to a woman she has never met before. It was her way. The fact that four days have past would not be noticed by a couple of Edinburgh's finest would it?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, you will probably be pleased to hear that you have me thoroughly confused. For I have no idea if you are making much of this up or if you are being serious, and even if you are being serious, I have no idea if what you are reporting is as bad as it sounds or not. I would ask you to clear things up, but...

Strawberry Girl said...

Sorry to hear about the trouble, hopefully the cup theory pans out ;D Wouldn't want to think that it was due to incompetency at the "Procurator Fiscals Office."

As for the place to hold refreshments, LDS Chapels are generally open for such functions even if you are not a member of our church and even if you are not from that area. The phone number for the Church Offices is 0121 712 1200 or look it up on https://www.lds.org.uk/contact_us_main.php

I just wanted to let you know that, in case it's of any help.

I hope things get worked out for you in your travell plans and with your family in the arrangements.

SG

P said...

Un bloody believable, I am amazed you can even type after putting up with this on what is already a pretty awful situation.
Its good to see that you have not lost your sense of humour