Tuesday, 1 September 2026

Excitement

Nothing ever happens here in this boring wee town.  I am quite glad of that in many ways, yet still wish for a wee bit of excitement now and again.  Last night we had some.
The football finished, I scrolled through the laptop seeking exciting news, emails, and interesting posts, I found none!  Just about 10:30 I switched everything off and tried to sleep.  
Not unusual for this place, but not often on a Monday night, women's voices were heard, something was being shut or opened, and I took this to be teenage kids in the skatepark playing around.  However, it took a moment for me to realise there was a blue light flashing, indicating some police activity.  I lay there seeking repose, but my nose made me rise and seek where the light was flashing.  As always, it was just out of sight.  Then a large ambulance vehicle, the type used in 'incidents' instead of daily use, began to turn round and make its way off the scene.  That's that thought I when a helicopter appeared above.  This was the police surely, but it was awfully low, and I realised this was the ambulance helicopter that is based a few miles away.  It was low as he was hanging around while the park opposite was prepared for his landing.  Soon the noise which was annoying the neighbours kids, became louder as he landed in the middle of the park.  Silence returned.
Nothing else disturbed us until quarter past midnight when the helicopter started up again, rose, lights twinkling in the dark sky, high above and made off for the hospital with his charges.  My nose was twitching, but it was unlikely anything else would be heard.
 
 
This morning all was revealed. 
Like all small towns these days we have the drug problem, something all western democracies suffer from.  What is the answer?  No, I have no easy answers either.  The middle classes buy cocaine from the poorer sort of youth who needs the money, and the youth gets trapped by long lines of gangsters, usually from London or Liverpool, moving out into the small towns.  Money talks and those with little hope of work, or poor parenting, or possibly just see this as an easy way to cash in, soon find themselves trapped into drug wars.  Occasionally, someone will get stabbed.  
Last night, just as I searched the emails, allegedly, a couple of youthful gangs faced one another.  Allegedly use was made of a shotgun and two were wounded.  A third man, probably not involved, was also injured.  Four teens or twenties men walked away and as yet have not returned.  
I hope the injured recover quickly, no lives were endangered, but shock is a powerful thing. 
The police indicate this was a 'targeted' attack, reassuring the public that there is no danger to them.
The town centre is, of course, locked off, tape barriers across the Market Square, and officers everywhere offering assurance.  How they can offer assurance when no-one is allowed near them, I cannot explain.  
Tesco is shut, at least at the front door, last night the Wetherspoon pub was closed early, for their safety, and enquiries are ongoing.  
I missed it all.  All I got from this was a flashing blue light, a noisy helicopter keeping me awake, and the little information we can post.  All this comes under 'allegations' according to the Law of England and Wales.  No names, as we do not have them, and they would not be allowed if the individual is under 18 years.    
I am left with a great deal of respect for the local police who moved swiftly, detained on young man and are searching, and will find, the others allegedly involved.  When guns are fired we run away, the police run towards the incident.  
Of course this is unusual here, occasional knives have been used, but guns only found on proper gangsters, not kids.  This is a step-up, but I expect the police will handle this well and bring it to a proper conclusion. 

No comments: