Tuesday, 22 September 2026

Books!

 

In spite of my obvious poverty, I accidentally ordered more books from this company today.  I like them, they sell second hand books at reduced prices, usually in good condition, and so far the service has always been good.  I did need more books, I am reading the last ones in the pile just now, and you understand how quickly they are finished.     
It really is a terrible disease, one that causes me to avoid entering bookshops on the few days I get into town, I may actually spend money again.  I will peek at charity shops, though many of them now overcharge for books in my opinion.  Most now stock only a few books, the majority are sold to WOB as this gains them more cash and saves space.  Only, worthwhile and expensive books are often retained.  Very annoying this.
Anyway, in a world in which people under 40 tend to get all their information from 'TikToc' or 'YouTube,' I think it's important to stress that reading books is always the way to get accurate information.  That is, one book may be wrong but usually hundreds of others are available on the chosen subject so ascertaining facts is always possible.  The accuracy of internet pictures or information leaves much to be desired. 
Some seek historical accuracy in movies or TV drama's, this is unfortunate.  There is no history accuracy in much of them, and all put drama before fact.  You might as well trust the BBC news these days as much as TV dramas.      
Christmas is coming, fill the kids lives with books!  And the adults also, it will do them good!
 

No comments: