Tuesday 22 June 2021

Not Quite as Dreich a Day

 

The sky has been gray all day.  However, exercise was taken, twice!  This entailed walking around town and across the park and home again.  Later in the day I vetured out in similar fashion and now wish to sleep for 14 hours.

 
I wandered through the Public Gardens, having noticed these Bees outside the Congregational Church enjoying the flowers.  There were quite a few Bees crawling on the pavement looking the worse for wear also.  Possibly the weather, possibly they are reaching their end.  Lying so small on the pavement will not help them.
 



The gardeners, all volunteers, were being ordered about by the female sergeant major as I passed.  Interesting how I see no Butterfly's these days.

 
I mentioned to one that I had not seen this type of Poppy before.  There were many around, tall and colourful in the gray air.  It is a pity there was no sun as these would look very good in sunshine.   The sergeant interrupted and the woman, like the rest, all retired folks I suspect, hastened back to work.
 


Since the actual gardener retired some years ago a company has been employed a couple of days a week to tend the gardens.  I am not sure who opens and shuts them on other days.  However, whoever is responsible has done a great job in continuing the varied plants on show, colourful and always worth a look.  Especially when the mums have got the little brats out of the way.

 
At the War Memorial I noticed all the wreaths from last November had been cleared away.  What remained however, were the stones left by schoolchildren.  It appears to be the thing these days to paint stones for a variety of reasons, schools here encourage kids to do this for Remembrance Sunday. 
I think this a great idea, simple, enjoyable, and remains in the memory for the kids.  It is also cheaper than a wreath!




Now it is time for the football.  I am full of confidence, actually it is Haddock but that's another story...
 


4 comments:

Dave said...

Scotland played with great spirit and tenacity. They were good to watch. Croatia were the better side and had the magic of Modric.

the fly in the web said...

What a beautiful collection of flower photographs...you really have an eye for it.
As to the match....I could do with one of your pies to console me...

Adullamite said...

Dave, Aye, it is the playmaking in the middle that lacks. We need a Modric.

Adullamite said...

Fly, Aye, they are Ok.