Thursday 20 February 2020

Wednesday Witter


The council planted Daffodils did their best to imitate Spring but all around dreichness remained. I was venturing out for the second time.  The supermarket had been blessed by my presence, not that Mr Sainsbury would be enriched by that over much today, and once I had returned home I cogitated  on spending money. 
My sister is in hospital, she felt rough, went to excellent doctor, who dumped her in an ambulance to hospital. A type of heart attack was upon her and now she lies complaining, unlike me, while being tested and manipulated by nurses. I suspect she will be home soon with a box of aspirin and a handful of coloured tablets to take.  I hope so, travelling up for a funeral is expensive!
However knowledge of what is happening there is limited.  I canny phone her man as he is too deaf to hear me, so I relay on daughter, who is not as efficient in informing me as she ought.  I therefore spoke, via facebook, to her daughter for facts.
During this I was called a 'technophobe' for not having a mobile phone and being unable to text. Although I indicated I have no friends and do not need one I was left feeling guilty about this so off I trooped to Argos, the shop not the ancient city, and spent money on a fancy phone.
Starting it up was complicated and eventually we are set. 
Now however I have switched it on and it wants the Pin number for the 'fingerprint' to let me in.
A dozen times I have put in four numbers, all wrong!!!
So now I have a phone I canny use!
I hate my life! 


Much later, after a lot of strange words, some online help, a video or two, and tea I managed to reset things and get the phone going.  Having never used a fancy phone, I struggled with that one that had a dial, and reading instructions that take it for granted you are 13 I worked my way through the encircling mists and succeeded to obtain a working mobile.  
Of course it would not make phone calls.
It took me a moment to realise I had to verify the Simm, so that can be done tomorrow.  My 'technophobe' hat is very much on and my head is spinning with jargon I do not comprehend.  That said I think it will be working by tomorrow, maybe.


Much of tonight was therefore spent glaring at the phone I hoped to use to contact my sister's phone why she lay in hospital.  My normal phone could not contact her either as her phone was switched off.  The reason, she was back home!
At the moment I gave up she called me.
That saved me a fortune, not that I mentioned it.
She has been coming home on the bus, found herself shaking, feeling a bit tight, and as the bus stopped at the surgery she went in.
The nurse practitioner, like all staff there, understood quickly, the doctor also and soon she was in an ambulance waiting at the hospital.  An accident got in before her but after tests, more tests and more proddings the doctor decided she had a small 'blip' interfering with the heart.  It had passed, she could go and take lots of tablets with her.
She was quite happy with the well cared for experience, her grandchildren, all adults (they say) were a wee bit shaken however.  So was I for a minute.  The cost of travelling up there for a funeral is enormous!  
That phone might leave me shaking soon also.


4 comments:

Jenny Woolf said...

Sounds like you've done very well for a technophobe! Congratulations! I would still be wondering how to open the box the phone came in, I think.

the fly in the web said...

Glad that your sister is O.K....as I know from Leo the one carted off to hospital is a lot less shaken up by it all than family and friends...proof of which - you bought a mobile 'phone!

Mother had one for her visits to hospital...but I could never contact her on that number so would have to call the nursing staff who would find that she had switched it off as she was convinced that it ate money if 'alive'.

I don't like meddling with those 'phones, so when traveling have the Costa Rican one for making sure that someone is picking me up from the airport, a tablet which seems to pick up internet more easily than the 'phone and which allows me to store books for the journey and another 'phone bought in Spain into which I can persuade kind gentlemen in corner shops to install the appropriate chip to give me contact in whichever country I find myself. Given the charger, wires and international plugs my handbag looks like a bomber's delight but no one takes any notice at airport security.

Dave said...

Once you get the hang of it you might be pleasantly surprised. They are so useful, its like having you laptop in your pocket complete with maps and camera. Stick at it.

Adullamite said...

Jenny, I got the box open - eventually! The phone works, I just have not worked out how to make calls yet!

Fly, After Brexit I suspect Heathrow will have you inside for a few hours! I need my great niece here to show me what to do!

Dave, It does look good, it's the idiot operating it that worries me.