Sunday 4 August 2019

Football, Church Women and Holidays


Life has been much enhanced lately, yes Friday night football is back, and today the Heart of Midlothian are slugging it out with Aberdeen as we speak.  I will watch the delayed broadcast on BBC Alba at 6pm.  What a great use of a TV station!  No more Friday evenings wondering what to do, no more Friday evenings staring out the window watching people without TV football wandering about bereft.  At last life has returned to some normality.  
I have lost BTSport however, I could obtain it via Plusnet but this will cost £10 a month, and that is not on, I went there to save cash, anyway BT have BTSport only for this season then it moves to SKY.  This season I may take a 10 month ticket with Now TV to enable me to see Scots football on Sky, along with English rubbish.  I might be able to afford that.  
Of course after Brexit all these English players will be returned home, Trump fashion.  Then what will happen to English football?  A collapse at the top level is on the cards and Boris and his strange backers will line their pockets and run I expect.

 
At church this morning I noticed the three 'old' women gathered together again offering a view of a female 'Last of the summer wine.'  I began to imagine the kind of adventures they would become responsible for.  

'The Guild & the Missing Communion Wine.'  
Nobody knows what happened to the Holy bottles of QV Sherry procured from the Co-op but it was noticeable at the 'Bring and Share' Sunday they girls would not allow the children to drink the raspberry cordial on their table.  It remains unknown as to whether this played any part in their dancing on said table later in the day.  
The curate was later found in the vestry, tied up with string and with an offering bag over his head. 

Sometimes I laugh when folks talk abut little old ladies.  The impression given is of weak and not too bright women.  I remember being in a room full of ex-missionary women, their husbands, those who had one, had all died long before, and feeling more unsafe than when I was in some football grounds.  These women had had to succeed in difficult and often dangerous places, the Belgian Congo was one where many missionaries died, and in inhospitable habitations far from help.  These were not women to men with!


These summer days make me wake early each morning, usually so early that by 10 am I am back in bed!  I am surrounded by people telling me that they are off to Spain, Iceland, Majorca or some far off land while I mention my trip to Chelmsford to by sausages.  This does not seem right to me in some way.  
I keep asking for a pretty young lass who speaks French to drive me around the battlefields in France and Flanders but have so far met with little in the way of encouraging responses.  One or two have been specifically unresponsive I must say!  There again I have little desire to go where others go.  Spain for the sun, especially for those with kids sounds good but would be boring for me.  Iceland might be interesting but expensive and would mean eating a lot of fish!  For Majorca, sitting reading books sounds good but why go there.  If I go somewhere, if the knees let me, I would wish to see something!  Why g abroad to lie about all day?  What a waste.  The old battlefields would be interesting, foreign nations with a history far from tourists might also satisfy, but lounging about amongst lager louts can be done cheaper at home.  Not for me thanks.

 
 

3 comments:

the fly in the web said...


i remember the guided battlefield tours as being pricey...mother thought about taking one to see where her uncle fought, but had a fit at the price. And that was then....

What is the matter with the young lassie who speaks French? Doesn't she realise what a boon companion she would have? Or hasn't she seen your five a day....

Dave said...

You're about people going abroad just to lie in the sun and very often not venturing away from their hotel. Each to their own, but not for me, when I'm away I like to explore and familiarise my self with what's around me.

I've been through the battlefields area but not spent a huge amount of time there. The main reason is that I find it so very sad and depressing and seeing all the lines of gravestones brings it home. My daughter is a history teacher and has taken children there on school trips and often has to cope with 16 /17-year-olds in tears.

Quite rightly it is preserved and looked after as the comfort people get from finding or visiting a relatives grave is immense.

Adullamite said...

Fly, There are many offering tours today, some quite expensive, others might be OK. I do not tell women about my 5 a day.

Dave, Indeed, what is the point of lounging about when there are things to see? Battlefields bring out unknown emotions. The 'stiff upper lip' has gone and kids today do not understand how you just had to 'get on with it' as there was no choice. In the past there was no point in crying, the job required doing and emotion could wait.