Saturday 20 July 2019

Wet Tour of Boris


I was watching the Tour de France this afternoon and wondering why I was losing interest in this muscular folly?  A few years ago I knew the names of the riders, or at least the favourites, now I do not know who was wearing the yellow jersey. 
I wonder why?
Partly I suspect it is the attitude of those 'keen' cyclists we see around here at this time.  Lycra clad, helmeted, expensive bikes, possibly 'hand made,' and wearing a supercilious expression whenever a normal cyclist struggles by.  I also get irked by their attitude on 'A' roads when they ride two abreast holding up the traffic deliberately showing no concern for others.  This occurs around here and can lead to accidents when a long queue of traffic gets annoyed.  
I know, or at least used to know, a few people here who rode a hundred miles or so for fun regularly, not for exercise but because that was their hobby.  Fine by me but all too often groups of them pass by considering themselves more important because they are 'proper' riders.  It comes to mind a small bike shop in Leith, the owner came often into the 'cash & carry' where I worked.  He would not allow anyone in the shop unless they were a 'proper' cyclist like himself.  Only zealots could buy or they were wasting his time.  Good job we did not stop him buying for us as he was not a 'proper' small shopkeeper and was just using us for convenience.    
Cycling snobs, who would have thought, it's just a bike!


Every so often the rain decided to fall today.  I had just been up the road to Sainsburys watching the big black cloud in the distance and shortly after I had returned and settled down the rain fell.  Teeming down with accompanying thunder, no lightning as far as I could tell.  
Ah summer, don't you just love it.

  
Tee Hee!  Boris is planning his new cabinet.  He is threatening to put David Davies, who did not do his homework while in the cabinet, in as foreign secretary while we are at war with Iran, Matt Hancock, former Health man in as Chancellor I think, with Rees-Mogg, the member for the 17th century in as Secretary to the Treasury! 
Is this Boris's plan to get himself kicked out of a job quickly in a manner in which he can blame others or what?  Liz Truss, she of the ridiculous statements ("Boris put London on the map" is one) in a high office probably he wants her to replace the woman he now has floating around, if he can remember her name that is.  
I say again this is a judgement!
We do not get ourselves such incompetent leaders in both the UK and the USA by accident.  These people have no idea of running a country, Trump has shown he has less idea than they, racism and rabble-rousing is used as a tool to pull in support, and create enemies, and a quick war that will escalate and destroy millions to follow do not happen in this manner by chance!




5 comments:

the fly in the web said...

The lycra louts are enough to put anyone off cyclists....to me, proper cyclists wear trousers and bicycle clips.

Adullamite said...

Fly, Well, trousers anyway...

the fly in the web said...

No bicycle clips! Living dangerously on the edge, aren't we....?

Jenny Woolf said...

I am sorry to say that I agree with you that a country gets the politicians it deserves. We have for so long been complacent about our awful press and lack of civic education in Britain. Having said that I don't think individuals get the politicians they deserve, at least I don't personally know anyone who I would seriously wish a PM like Boris on, although I am sure such terrible people do exist - we are always hearing about them on the news. .

Adullamite said...

Fly, I often fall over the edge...

Jenny, Today Boris steps in, if Corbyn is clever, fat chance, a vote of confidence tomorrow will lead to his leaving soon after! Indeed both may well leave then.