Tuesday 23 July 2019

Sunny Grumble


Is it just me?
I came across this advert on Twitter reminding people to drink lots of water in the heat.
Now it crossed my mind that such things were never made clear when I was a lad.  Nobody told us to drink cold water when we were hot.  No wireless or TV adverts demanded we drink to avoid suffering from heat.  I wonder why?
Could it be, and I am merely speculating here, could it be that we did not require instruction on how to cool down when hot?  Was it because or mum gave us instructions perhaps?  Could it have been that we were not totally stupid maybe?  I just throw this out as reading this advert I wondered if people had never realised before that when the sun shines it gets hot and we drink water to cool down and feel capable of dealing with it.
Maybe it's just me?
I await warnings to 'Keep out of the sun as it is hot,' and 'the sun burns,' don't be in it too long, just in case people do not realise this.  I realise climate change has increased the power of the sunshine, it burns me more than it used to and I avoid it, but really, do we need such blatant advice?


I managed to wander around in the heat looking for half naked women photographs in the sun.  There were so few as it was just to hot.  Animals hid from the heat, children didn't, most people gathered under trees for the shade and to gather together to pray that Boris will get arrested for some misdemeanour tomorrow.  If only.  

 
I have been struggling to listen to a programme re William Gladstone on Radio 4.  David Cannadine does offer decent programmes but it is becoming impossible to hear what is being said as the producer, as all producers today, insist on inserting needless and irrelevant music thus drowning out the speaker.  There has always been this element on radio, a needless song because the producer cannot listen for five minutes to a voice, now however it is over top of the voice making hearing impossible.
Radio 3 offers the 'Essay.'  Fifteen minute programmes of people speaking intelligently, usually, without music or any other interruption. Why is it Radio 4 cannot manage this?  These children of the 80's have no ability to listen, I suspect they wander about with headsets over their heads, not the women obviously as they fear for their hair, and their heads down onto the mobile rather than looking where they go.  
Speech is good, intelligent speech does not require noise accompaniment.
When will the BBC kids learn this?


3 comments:

the fly in the web said...

I think future generations must evolve with a spare hand for the bottle of water...they all seem to be carrying them as if they were going to be yomping through the Breton Beacons in a heatwave, instead iof mooching down the street to the coffee shop.
Quite agree on the intrysuve music...and so predictable to...Africa, drums and wild cries. France, blasted accordions...

Dave said...

We do live in a state whereby we have to be made aware of virtually everything because if we're not made aware somebody will prosecute somebody. You wouldn't believe the procedures we have to go through when organising a club bike ride, risk assessments the lot. Nowadays it seems as if people are incapable of taking responsibility for looking after themselves.




Adullamite said...

Fly, Today many carried a phone or bottle, some both. I had neither deciding I would be home before I fell over.

Dave, You are correct. The Anglicans like candles on special days, the curate told me he had to fill in such a form just in case. Candlelit Xmas services require light to be on, just in case!!!