Saturday 16 March 2013

Hard Research



I enjoy this research into things.  had I not been so inept I would enjoy it more by discovering relevant info on what I am studying.  The building shown for instance, this began way back in the 
Tudor days of the 16th century.  It is possible this was amended in the 1700's by one Benjamin Allen.  He obtained the house when he took over the doctors practice from the late Dr Draper, although he may not have moved in until he married Drapers daughter.  Whether this was a condition of the practice is not known.  Each century leads to alterations with such houses and this was no exception.  The shop was pictured in 1900, at a time when cycling was popular, with those who could afford a bike.  The front has been amended again and the building now houses the 'Constitutional Club, a Conservative Party club.  From the rear it is possible, just to see the ancient timber frame plastered original design.


My problem has been the lack of time.  To search the web, scrabble for tiny fragments of information takes for ever.  The sad fact is not enough real info is at hand.  It requires sensible searching in proper places.  Still I will see what I can do and we will attempt to make something for the museum to stimulate interest in these ancient buildings.  Most by the way began with timber frames as this area has no stone as such.  Trees abounded so timber frames and weatherboarding is noted everywhere.  The growing wealth of individuals and the town in general brought alterations constantly to these buildings. I wish they would improve the windows on mine!



The top picture originates with this postcard that I have come across occasionally on the web.  About 1900 according to the dress sense, the stall and the horse dropping in the middle of the road.  The buildings housing the Constitutional Club at that time have been replaced with late 1950's austerity brick and modern shop fronts.  One gas lamp outside the club lights the street here!  Possibly shop lights would help, shops may have closed later then, and most folks knew the way home.  I must collect at least a dozen if not more, decent blurbs on these premises.

.

8 comments:

Lee said...

I do enjoy going along with you on your many researches, Adullamite. I hope you don't mind me hitching a ride with you.

I find this all very interesting. :)

soubriquet said...

I've always wanted a time machine, and to go back and see how places like this evolved, who lived there, the things they saw and knew, that would be my dream.
I would be a time-voyager.
And I'd probably die of something horrible, on my first trip.
Sigh. A time-voyager with magical immunity to all the diseases of the past, then.

Helen Devries said...

I enjoy your researches...and this post reminds me of the frustration when looking into the history of my last house in France.

Relax Max said...

A lack of time, you say? Wot?

Whatever else do you have now? Except that free bus pass for the elderly?

Good research and pictures though, notwithstanding.

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you. All.

Unknown said...

Not being one usually let into proper places, it is no wonder why you have such difficulty gathering pertinent information. Yet, you keep trying. Good for you!

By the way, this observation is giving you full credit for knowing what pertinent means. Please make sure I get sufficient credit for that.

Adullamite said...

Lee, Everything I do is interesting.....'cough!'

Adullamite said...

Soub, A time machine, in which people didn't spear you, would be good!

Helen, Tis good indeed!

Max, I meant my clock has stopped.

Jerry, I am well aware that 'pertinent' are the wooden things budgies perch on.

Lee said...

I see you have a similar cough to my own, Adullamite! A stiff scotch might fix that! ;)