Sunday 23 April 2023

Sabbath Journey

Somewhat reluctantly I downed a rather too strong coffee and limped off to the Kirk.  Several things made me hesitant, the threatening rain which was gathering as I walked, the aches as I walked,and being an 'All Together' service I hesitated to attend, most remain at home on these days.  This service is run by the youth leaders, I always wish them well, but sometimes we have to grin and bear it.  
I slogged on as the rain spat at me, or possibly someone from my past in a passing vehicle did.  Encountering two woolly sheep like dogs (small Chows?) I spoke to them and they were more keen than the female owner to speak to me.  They are lovely looking dogs, and she was alright also. 
Entering the building I was met by one of the best men, the best ones are those who allow me to get in, take off my coat, find a half pint off water and let me sit sipping this while doing breathing exercises to recover from the walk.  The bad ones come over and talk.
Several came today!
As I scribble this I am reminded of how lovely some of these people are.  Especially when considering theor situations and problems, often serious difficulties.  One I spoke to had just returned from a stay in the NHS hotels.  He could not tell us much about it as the first he knew he was waking up with a tube in his mouth and nurses all around.  Clearly God has been good to him, the consultant the next day was surprised he was still alive!    
Being led by the leaders they filled the day with Five songs, FIVE!  This means, along with the readings, and other bits, we bounce up and down almost as if we are in a gym somewhere.  I remained seated throughout.  
The service went through its routine, including an amatuer short drama which made me annoyed.  Annoyed that I had left my phone behind and I could have been doing something useful while that was on.  
We made it through, Paul reminding us of the love God has for us, and is always with us.  How nice that is to hear, especially for those who have been through tough times.  We even had evdence for this in front of us, via the NHS.
And life got even better as the day wore on.  A lift home, a poor dinner, the fridge is empty, but at least in the evening Rangers got beat!  I realise this means Aberdeen are now five points ahead of us, but five games to go anything can happen and it is always good to see the old firm lose!
Now, it is bed, emails, whisky cocoa and a good nights sleep.

2 comments:

the fly in the web said...

And I thought it was the R.C.s who were always bouncing up and down...I should take a close look at those youth leaders....

Adullamite said...

Fly, I try not to look at the youth leaders...