Thursday 27 August 2020

A Month of Joy...


So, the adaptor cable broke, so, I sent off for a new one.
Then we had the struggle to update the old, slow, laptop.
Then we waited the new adaptor.
We waited.
And waited.
Contacted the man.
Ina  day or two it came.
Different from the original, however the words looked OK.
It overheated.
I took it out.
I replaced it.
It went back in.
It went 'phut' and left a burning smell in the air. 


Darkness came on me.
I sent for a proper one.
'Hermes' were to deliver this.
I waited.
Refer to first paragraph here.
Nothing happened.
I contacted sender.
They said 'Hermes' had address problem, contact them.
Contacting 'Hermes' is as easy as searching through their many pages, eventually finding a 'thing' called 'Holly' who is delighted to speak to you like any other computerised machine would do.
I left my details, informed that the correct people would be informed, 'give time, etc...' 
I waited.
Eventually, having found one or two more delivery pages I noticed they had attempted to deliver, could not find me.  Now remember they have spent 6 months delivering to the woman next door easily enough, but could not find me, though we use the same door.
This road has stood here for over four thousand years.
The house was built in 1832.
The front door has had three brass numbers at the top for over 50 years.
Yet they could not find me.


I confess I lost it this week.
The lack of laptop, aching knees, tiredness, lack of ability to get through to Hermes' and inability to do anything about the situation bar go back to 'Holly' and vent my spleen rather more rudely than is acceptable.  I shouted at them I shouted at the roof, I shouted at God.
None of this helped.
Once again they attempted to deliver today.
I sat back, cool, calm and cheered.
About 11:30 their local office rang up, 
"Where are you?"  
"He can't find you."
By now I was laughing.  Here was a man honestly trying to do his job through a courier who still could not find me.  I gave some instructions, then afterwards remembered how I ought to have directed him, an easier way.  However, 40 minutes later he was at the door.
Now using what I assume to be Bulgarian drivers who not only do not speak English, this one refused to utter a word, but are unused to the street layout of English towns.  Made worse I must say by this councils daft way of numbering places.
Then it was I realised the difficulty.  
My number is 100, however the house almost opposite is numbered 19.
This driver, like others, notice high numbers far down the road and do not realise that also opposite at the  beginning of the road are an old school, court house and gardens, all which push the numbers down the road.  When you consider most find us easily enough we must add in East Europeans difficulty in adjusting to the ways of the locals.  Next door is a Polish lass, Poles find it easy, those further south struggle, much to the delight of the 'Daily Express' reader.
However, the part has arrived!
Trumpets were blared, crowds cheered, massed bands walked past playing 'Sousa' marches.
All was well.
I opened package.
I plugged it in to my better laptop.
I pressed the button.
Nothing!
There was some battery left, what happened?
What happened was the 'Phut' of the cheap adaptor has also 'Phutted' my laptop!
Instant online search for help brought no joy.
I have spent the rest of the afternoon sitting here staring into space, images of me falling from the Eiffel Tower, or the Empire States Building,' or the 'Forth Bridge' were running through my mind.  Thoughts of a small gun at the temple, US police style, saccharine (or is it strychnine?) swallowed while jumping off the Lowestoft Ferry hang about keeping me company... 
I will sleep well tonight.



I admit I let myself get too stressed by this.  Maybe 'Lock Down' has played a part, maybe I am just a miserable git!  Several tell me so, mostly female I should indicate.  This has not been a good month, and using this old laptop has not helped, so slow, keeps jumping about, and causes stress!
'Lighten our darkness O Lord.'


  

2 comments:

the fly in the web said...

I think a bit of smiting would be in order....but, seriously, I do feel for you. It conjured up the memory of connecting with a Mexican call centre in order to work through a problem with a laptop...it took hours - though I suspect it would have been less had he not insisted on speaking English - and the blasted thing went down again the next day.
It is the helplessness of it all that geta to me...

Adullamite said...

Fly, I may use Mexico next time...