Monday 13 July 2020

Mars!


That may be a dirty blob to you, however, to those in the know that blob is my first picture of the planet Mars!  Being unable to sleep, aching from preparing the place for the workmen, my aching muscles forced me up just after one am.  In spite of a slight cloud cover it was possible to see many stars glinting above.  I was looking for the latest comet that is supposedly passing by but failed to observe it, however, it is quite wonderful to be able, even through a dirty window, to see so many stars.
While in my teens I was often able to see stars.  Having a cat meant that at unearthly hours one of us would be forced up, downstairs, through the back door, and while the cat stared suspiciously into the void I could look up into the very dark sky, well hidden from street lights, and observe Orion among others.  Always good, even if frostbite was waiting.  The cat would suddenly move, I would close back stair door, open the front door for the cat to enter halfway and glare back at his patch.  We would then return to bed, he satisfied his land was secure from threats no-one but him could see, we happy just to be warm again.
On one occasion on the north coast of Kent a crowd of us stood and stared at the Milky Way.  Vast numbers of stars, clear as can be ranged overhead.  Wonderful sight.
Last night I managed to capture Mars, not easy while holding the camera half way out the window, but another achievement to equal a similarly poor image of Venus obtained a while ago.  If I could understand half of what they say on these star maps I might find others.  Why are they so often confusing?     


A wee bit better than mine.

3 comments:

the fly in the web said...

Our newspapers tellus that a comet is supposed to be roaming the skies this week but as there is non stop cloud I don't hold out much hope of seeing it.
You could often see the Milky Way from where we lived in France...so far from civilisation that the local campsite was over run with keen star gazers who appreciated the lack of light pollution.

Dave said...

I remember gazing up at the night sky as a youngster and the milky way was a common sight.
I like your piece about the cat.

Adullamite said...

Fly, I think it is 'Neowise' or some such that is passing by. I was looking for it but have not seen it. Your cloud comes all the way over here!

Dave, From our house we could not see the MIlky Way as such, but Orion etc were always clear, unless it was raining...