Wednesday 13 May 2020

There is Nothing to Say


There is nothing to say, as Lock Down continues, I am following that Sturgeon woman not Boris, I find little to excite my writing fingers.  Wednesday followed Tuesday and little changed between them, except that I realised early on it was Wednesday by looking at the calendar.  Otherwise the grey clouds have obscured much of the sky with glimpses of sun shining through.  The northern wind has whistled through the cracks in my window frames happily freezing my fingers.  The wind has also limited the numbers who would otherwise be filling the park opposite today, Boris allowing them out encouraging them to flock to such places.  The traffic certainly appeared busier today, though it is Market Day, and the English being patriotic enough when crowded around a VE Day celebration are also stupid enough to crowd into a Market even if only three stalls will be there.  I suspect 'social distancing' was only observed by the queues at Supermarkets, the Post Office and the Banks.  

  
On Saturday I noticed some ignoring the 'advice' by settling down in the park, imagine what that would have been like today?  The Blackbirds, the Thrush's, Wood pigeons and the Crows would be happy for them to all remain indoors, only the lack of left over 'takeaways' would upset the Crows as that has become an important part of their diet.  
The council men cut the grass the other day leaving behind that sweet aroma that enlivens a sunny day.  Quite why cut grass has such a fragrance I know not but there is little beat it.  There was a plant, name unknown, that stood across from me that also offered sweet fragrance but the council took that away earlier this year, clearly something was amiss there.  It has as yet not been replaced which is a pity. 


Routines here can be boring to outsiders, rise slowly, breakfast and then study scripture to my own satisfaction, except that is when it tells me to change my ways or do something.  At my pace that brings me to 11 am at least!  Thus it is too late to start doing those urgent 'Big Jobs' and too early to look at the small ones.  So, let us gaze at the joggers slowly crossing the park, some getting much faster than they were a week or too ago.  Interesting to watch old men, unknown until now, who regularly wander the park paths.  These men have not exercised before but being trapped indoors has brought them out to their own benefit.  Naturally they ignore one another!  

   
With long queues at the big shops the man on the corner has made the most of the time.  Offering foodstuffs eggs, tins and whatever he can obtain, he has made a killing, mostly on the plants he sells. Business has been god, queues as long as the ones at the big shops can be found daily.  They park their cars at our door and care not about the locals, however I did manage to obtain a tray of eggs, 30 for £6 a go.  This of course means far too many cheese omelettes early in the day and I suspect before long I will die of cholesterol poisoning!  The price works out about normal round here.  Had I been using the bike there are many houses just outside the town which sell eggs, often on an honesty basis, take and pay in box.  Some do Honey also this way.  There has it appears been a rise in the sale of chickens in recent days so it may be urban houses may soon do similar.


Today I managed to avoid both the 'Big Jobs' as well as the small ones, then I realised the milk would not last so now I am preparing to visit Sainsburys at 7:30, the best time to go there. 
A friend has been told, by doctors letter, to remain indoors until June.  She is allowed out in a car however and he and her will take advantage of this and drive into the country for a change of scenery.  The country being five minutes drive from their door that will be easy.  
The change of scenery from indoors to out is great when it happens rarely.  I have been watching those 'Cab Rides' videos from the drivers seat in railway engines and wandering about the country.  Today I crossed the Forth Bridge, bringing back memories, and then the Tay Bridge also.  The video may be ten years old but it was a bright interlude in the day.  For the men driving such engines it must make their day when they can cross such constructions and get paid for this.  A skilled job, good pay and being outside with any troubles being the problem for the guard and not yourself is a great thing.  While delays occur rarely are drivers to blame and always they have the luxury of the view.  Much better than an office life. 
Having broken my leg in 1986 I was moved into an office.  One thing that bugged me was the constant dream of being outside in the van once again delivering across the city.  The nearest I got to this was being a Postman.  Half the day indoors the rest wandering the streets.  An enjoyable job when I began, not so enjoyable now.  Too busy, bad management and too many drops for each man.


Another quick wander about a near deserted Sainsburys.  Few about, mostly male, mostly buying beer, wine an spirits plus bacon and bread.  Clearly getting the breakfast stuff in!  A quick chat to all the attractive young ladies, why do they call me 'Granddad?'  Then saunter home in the chill breeze, blue sky appearing between puffy clouds, a Crow half way up the Police Radio Mast and a silent town lying round about.
Then I realised there were no Starlings on the mast.  In times past there have been thousands of the things.  Possibly they are Murmuring somewhere but at this time there is usually a host to be seen.  The Crow is not enough to put them off, I wonder if the numbers have dwindled?  Only one or two Swifts seen so far also.  I could go on Twitter and er, 'Tweet' about this...?

     

3 comments:

the fly in the web said...

I'll just bet that there are some elderly gentlemen all too keen to get away from the wee wifie on the excuse of exercise, though not yet of the elbow lifting variety.
I am glad you have surfaced..I was wondering the pigeons had lifted you.

Dave said...

An interesting post ..and you have nothing to say. Yes its becoming Groundhog Day here too, but thankfully the DiY jobs help break up the day. The good weather and the daily cycling makes it just about bearable. Its the social side that I miss, but then that the same for most. With the restriction rules now being different for each nation we will have to see what happens at the next review. Who said we were a united kingdom?

Adullamite said...

Fly, You imply the wee wifie bullies her man? Surely not...?

Dave, United Kingdom? Never has been.