Tuesday 17 March 2020

Shop Book



For a society close to ‘Lock Down,’ I considered there was an awful lot of traffic passing me at half past eight in the morning.  Twitter had informed me the usual roads were ‘Slow Moving,’ and it has become obvious that not many people can work from home.  Builders, postmen, gardeners, as well as supermarket staff must get up early and trudge to work.  Politicians might think it clever to tell people to stay indoors but how will they all be fed?  How will these people pay bills if the work is closed down, redundancy given, or they are just left with nothing?  Some policies must emerge ‘on the hoof’ but a little bit more thought is required here.
School kids ahead of me did not appear to be discussing virus possibilities as I slowly made my way to the panic shop.  I was in truth glad I could not hear what their topics of conversations were, that might put me off breakfast! 
As I crossed the car park I coughed somewhat roughly.  A man fifty yards ahead turned and looked at me, contempt and fear showing in his eyes.  Fear of that virus is cutting into people.  Even the young men faint. 
Sainsburys have taken action to limit panic buying.  The shelves are half full, a deliberate policy, thus preventing items running out.  However, I questioned the lack of red lentils and an attractive young assistant soon procured some for me, she found brown lentils first then thoughtfully came after me with red ones, how helpful I thought, though to be fair most staff are in this shop.  Now I wish I had kept both as this panic filled mob may continue to live in fear and remove all such from the shelves.
Paracetamol was bereft, those that do not require it have got it, those that need it now cannot get it.  We may end up with rationing and doctors’ certificates at this rate. 
Wine and beer was available in abundance, quite why they have not panic bought that I know not.  When sick wine is often the best thing to take, it goes down well, offers some nourishment, and an abundance makes you forget your illness and fall asleep.  Or so I am told…
There are of course vast amounts of foodstuffs and other needful to be had, no-one needs to starve to death, and a supply of daily papers are available if the toilet rolls are still hidden away.  Potatoes exist, some frozen chips are still to be found, and while pasta has disappeared rice in various forms can be obtained.  Clever people can vary their diet with a quick wander around the store.  Really clever people can make use of their garden and plant what they will require later in the year.  I wish I was one of them. 
Just thinking, if the virus hits 80% of the people then food transmission to the shops will be hindered.  Add to this the lack of veg coming from this nation, no EU fruit pickers allowed, then a veg shortage might well appear.  If the drivers get sick, having seven or fourteen days off, and relief drivers unavailable, that will increase the fun at the shops. 
Tomorrow I panic buy tins!
The only flaw this morning was one of my favourite checkout lasses bursting into giggles as she informed me the total came to £33!  “33,” I said.  “I only made it £7:29.”  More giggles from her and the customer following.  To them, seeing my debit card smouldering as I pushed it into the slot was delightful, there appeared to be little delight for me.  However, the checkout girl mentioned that over the weekend some 30 such cards had been refused, not enough credit.  This was the result of panic buying too much.  This £33 was much more than I had expected and is caused by not counting up the totals as I go, something I always used to have to do, there again I may just blame the red lentils, not the bottle of Chianti…


You may remember I began this book some time ago, it mysteriously got lost under a pile of other books that I was wading through.  Some people adore this man, I found it  wee bit boring and hard going.  However he has a five programme series on BBC Radio 4 Extra.  The first programme can be found here.  He is easier to listen to than to read I must say. 


3 comments:

Dave said...

You always manage to come up with a good end piece picture, its very apt. Yes, it will be interesting to see how the food supplies are in a couple of weeks. I have stopped watching the news, it's less depressing and I can get all I want online. All our cycling group activities have been cancelled, but cycling on your own is fine.

the fly in the web said...

It has to have been the lentils that pushed up the price....

All had been calm here until the President spoke to the nation...that set off an immediate stampede to the shops. Presidents need to keep quiet.

Adullamite said...

Dave, The news is depressing, confusing also. Glad you still get out and about.

Fly, Lentils are expensive... Does the President have shares in shops?