Sunday 10 November 2019

Remembrance 2019


This morning I participated in the remembrance service, reading the appropriate words, the silence, the 9 page 'walk' which he had come up with.  This meant standing a lot reading in public, how scary that turned out to be!  I thought it would be easy but I was so nervous at first and only settled down as went on.  Not good!  However we got through it and many a thought was brought to the surface I discovered later. Very interesting response.


Then walk home and after a quick bite off to the gardens for the remembrance event.
This is where I discovered how the Rotary Club can help.  Once there the spot where I usually stand to take pictures was roped off.  Luckily the man who this year is 'top dog' in rotary circles was there to offer their wreath and it just happens I know him from the museum.  He spoke to the commander of the day and soon I was past the rope and in position with the generals blessing.  He may not be a general but he was in charge.

 
The usual military style gathering, the dignitaries arriving last behind a piper.
An enormous turn out of young folks, training corps, scouts, and the variety of lesser organisation led the way in followed by the masses.  Several hundred, some in uniform, many wearing service blazers, caps and medals, and one or two now in wheelchairs who were standing not so long ago.


The rotary dignitaries!
The laying of wreaths gets longer each year.  I sometimes wonder why some offer them, but annually they are represented.  Naturally, Police, fire, St Johns and such like are there.  Various military organisations, and today at least one individual offered something.  The important folk went first, then a long list was read out and one by one those present came forward.  Two High schools were represented, one of which takes this on so much that their remembrance service was put out on the BBC a few years ago.  It annoys me so many claim kids no nothing of war yet these guys no more than most 'Daily Mail' readers ever will!  It did cross my mind that skirts that short were not however worn at the school I attended!


The usual marvellous turn out.  The local vicar, High Church, worked his way through the service well and within three quarters of an hour, not counting similar time awaiting the start it was over.  The troops marched away, though whether those under twelve could be called 'marching' can be disputed, and they headed up to St Mikes for the proper, evangelical, service as always.  A short march past afterwards and all was over.  I however did not follow them to St Mikes, two meetings a day is enough and I wished to lie down and eat pizza.


Now, the brain is to tired to think, this I was told today, is not unusual for me.  Yes, it was a woman.
I sip cheap brandy looking for strength and read my book looking for sleep.  A good day is over.

2 comments:

the fly in the web said...

I watched yesterday's Cenotaph ceremony....not for the bigwigs, but for the ordinary people marching. I don't remember local ceremonies being so well attended when I was in the U.K. - but what a turn out!
And now they have taught the kids about war they need to teach them how to avoid electing the maniacs who cause them.

Adullamite said...

Fly, Attendances have risen since the 1914 centenary. How many will be there in 10 years mind?
The Express, Mail and Sun tell people how to vote by encouraging their fears.