Friday 1 November 2019

It's Almost Here...


In spite of the many items screaming out for my attention I have spent some time this afternoon writing Christmas Cards!  Today is the 1st day of November!
I like to be organised, these will be sent off on the 1st of December, partly to ensure they get there in good time, partly to remind others to get mine written out and sent back to me.  Of course not all is finished, gift cards for many have to be obtained, looks like Tesco or Sainsbury's for those, and then almost all will be complete, though my wallet will not be happy.
When I saw the 'Private Eye' advert I realised that two packs of their cards would do the worst of the job, each then costing me £1 each!  Cheaper than the shops where all begin at twice that price.
Most cost more than that and the fancy ones considerably more.  One friend I know designs his own.  This began when the kids were small, one sheet A4 paper, fancy design, cartoon, kids drawing, folded into card shape and off it goes.  Must have saved him vast sums of cash, especially as the family were all talented.  I have resisted such an endeavour as I lack the talent. 
It is to be regretted the election was called after the cards were designed, that could have been fun.


I think this picture represents the future of the NHS after Brexit or another Tory government.  The denials from the present Health Secretary, whatsisname, do not offer conviction, especially as Boris and so many other right wing nutjobs in his presence seek an insurance based system so they can cash in on the shares.   My Brexit store remains ready, Corned Beef, Beams, Tea etc, but it is not possible to stock up on medicines in the same way.  Indeed a friend, a radiographer, informs me of the vast number of aged medicines destroyed by the NHS, either badly stocked or donated by patients who do not know how to safely dispose of them.  Supplies in the NHS has always been a place for backhanders and individual progress.  Once Thatcher divided up the NHS the opportunity for price increases matched that of the growth in 'friendly chats' with those responsible for buying for the NHS.  I was in the wrong department!


No comments: