Tuesday 2 October 2018

A Routine Day


I was worn out by ten minutes to ten this morning.
The door unlocked by my favourite boss who smiling pinched the bag of chocolates I brought and still smiling gave me work.  Naturally I was pleased.
Enquiring regarding the milk situation, usually I have to trek to Tesco for this, I found milk had been purchased so ran to make my tea while also doing one of the many other early morning jobs.
Kettle boiled cup ready milk not there in fridge, just last weeks which was turning green and yoghurt like.
Clearly my other favourite boss, not the one who opened the door or the one who bought the milk, this one must have taken milk to Hall where she was setting up for a meeting of old women who were having an adult 'Victorian Class' experience.'  I trudged all the way down to the Hall.
She did not have milk.
It must be on desk of boss who bought it.
I trudged all the way back and onwards to office.
She did not have it on desk.
"It's in the fridge," she said sweetly.
Grrrrrrrr!
Indeed, having trudged all the way back it was in the fridge, not in the normal place, where the dead milk resided, but hidden away on a shelf behind foodstuffs.  
Tea made I trudged back to desk where I had then to leave tea and sort out the sand, the Saturday staff not doing so again!  I also had to check the other sand in the treasure chest, then I had to do the stickies.
Having done so and returned to tea I realised time was short and I had to change a bulb over the Roman artefacts.  Simple, trudge back for key, open cabinet, unscrew and remove bulb and replace. So where is the new bulb?  In the bulb cupboard.  This is a display case with doors on, why do they no all have doors on I ask and be used as cupboard?  Where is it?  In the gallery, not that one, not that one, round the back, not that one either.  Maybe it's in the war rooms, not there also.  
Time is pressing I will have to open up soon.
Is it round there, no, up stairs, no.
Oh there it is, moved to be right in front off me!  How am I going to see it there!!!  
Which bulb?  Back to the cabinet, get the bulb, search the many green boxes for the right one, there are lots of wrong ones.  Find right one, only one left by the way, that's organisation for you, return to cabinet, screw in bulb, lock away Roman gods, horse bells, and other left over items lying about since the 2nd century or so and close up.
Inform staff of lack of bulbs, discussion re bulbs threatens to continue for a while, run away.  
Annoy cleaner, woman, as I rush into Gents before she has finished cleaning.
On the way back I had to reset the table for the kids, put things back in place, ensure the lights were on, even though reaching the switches down below mean I canny get back up, and then rush to the WW1 cabinet to pick up the bits that had fallen down (Blue Tac does not always hold) and then get back to the front to open up.
I had not started and I wanted to go home!
My tea was cold.
Bah!
We then, my colleague and I , sat for the rest of the day cutting shapes for a kids event.
One couple with granddaughter came in.
Oh yes the party of old folks arrived for their Victorian experience I went out and explained how they were to enter and the boss went out to explain they ought to enter differently from what she told me!  
After hours of cutting shapes the women, now roundly humbled by the Victorian teacher, came into the shop to buy things.  From empty shop to women everywhere for half an hour, then I went to Tesco.
I forgot my list and forgot what was on it.
A routine day so far...
 

2 comments:

the fly in the web said...

Remember the army saying...never volunteer....

Adullamite said...

Fly, You tell me now...?