Sunday 3 September 2017

Car Show Day


Putting aside my bicycle clips I walked groggily over to the public gardens where, for the sake of raising funds to keep the gardens going, they put on a car show.  How wonderful and event near enough to walk to rather than miss because it is held in a field way out of town usually.


I accidentally took around 200 pictures but fear not they will not all appear hear, well not at once anyway...
There were a grand collection of old British cars, Austins, Bentley and Alvis for instance, and the fancy US efforts from the late 50's and a couple of ex-army items also.  I expected more motor bikes but only two appeared plus a scooter which was a disappointment especially as one of the bikes was a bit rough, probably working on it I suspect.  

   
I have always liked the idea of a 'Jeep.'  I prefer the British army version myself but the idea of just hopping on and off one of these is great in my little mind.  The 'Jeep' from the US term  'General Purpose' vehicle, the GP as armies like using acronyms (it is 'acronyms' innit?) then commonly known as 'Jeep.'  A more modern version was on sale around here recently and I really was glad I have no money as I was sure tempted by it.  Naturally it is useless in the UK as the open sides let in the rain quite a lot and our summers are not renown to bring visitors.  Still it's just another dream I suppose.

 Austin
Next door Austin

One of the finest cars on show I thought.


From watching all those war films made in the fifties I was given the impression that all RAF pilots drove one of these MGs or failing that a Morgan.  The reality however was somewhat different as one man indicated.  "We could fly a Lancaster all the way to Berlin and back yet when we landed we got on our bikes, none of us could drive!"  Few could afford any kind of car let alone a speedy roadster.  The war however enabled a great many to learn to drive and that without a driving test of any kind.  If you were passed fit to drive in the services the licence was handed over as that was considered good enough.



This you may remember was one of two 'Bubble Cars' that appeared on the streets around the late 50's.  An attempt to provide a cheap transport they did not last long as the 'Mini' appeared and these were obsolete overnight.  This one had room for a driver and one passenger or two very small ones. 


More famous for motorbikes BSA made cars for a while, this ended with the advent of the second world war.  One of these might cost you between £8000 and £15,000 today.  I winder if the bikes cost more?



 
Now if you wish you could buy this two seater tourer for me for Christmas.  I would never ask for anything from you ever again - well maybe petrol money...




Yankee things also appeared, much loved in Essex of course, this is a county that likes such flash vehicles.  I do like the pickup myself.



Next to what I take to be his Aston Martin Ian Jordan gave us an interesting mix of 50's and 60's music.  Most enjoyable and fitted well with the show.

Oh yes and if you are ever asked to volunteer for any event always make sure you understand the role you will be playing.  It would nit do to say say "Yes!" before realising what you have let yourself in for, like these two...

 
You might get more of these tomorrow...


3 comments:

the fly in the web said...

That looks a lot of fun....and nice to be able to get to it. When visiting mother I wanted to take her to a couple of events but they were miles out in the country...

Unknown said...

Superb shots! I am not familiar with Alvis.

I really hate Springfield being called the birthplace of Route 66 because it is well down the line from the beginning of the road in Chicago, IL on the way to Santa Monica, CA. However, the semi-annual festivals attract some incredible cars.

Adullamite said...

Fly, It makes a change to have such nearby.

Jerry, Alvis ran from 1919-1967 producing flash cars all the while. The name was created because it was easy to say in any language!