Wednesday 22 December 2010

Goodwill to all men?

.


Yesterday as I fought my way through the hordes of women gouging the eyes from one another in the shops I became aware of the 'Christmas Spirit!' Trolleys barging into one another, men meandering around hopelessly lost, separated from the one who knew what she was doing, desperate girls looking for exactly the right item for Christmas dinner, you know the item, the one they have run out off, yes that one, and swarms of miserable gits seeking to bring joy to one another. One Sainsburys lass was surprised that I was happy to join in her merriment, "They are all so miserable," she said in a surprised tone. "It's Christmas," I replied,"Goodwill to all men etc." We pondered the human species at this happy time and were not overjoyed with our findings. However I continued to search for a Madras Curry for my Christmas dinner and waded into the cheerful throng. My joy was complete at the checkout when two aged crones rushed for the empty space behind me, playing dodgems with their trolleys. Almost 150 years Christmas experience between these two and 'thinking others better than ourselves' was not one of the lessons they have learned in that time. What joy to think the respectable behave just like the neds in our society, what joy to consider that this is our human frame. There again, that is the reason Jesus came into the world, to stand in our stead. It's a good job he knows how bad we really are, because we sure don't see it ourselves.


.      

2 comments:

red dirt girl said...

Maybe I'm being uncharacteristically pollyanna this year, but I've had no 'bad' customers. No one yelling at me to do my job and tell them what to buy; how to buy it .... yadda, yadda. There's more stress behind the counter with 24 new seasonal hirers elbowing me for counter space. Happy Holidays, Adullamite!
xxx

Adullamite said...

Happy Christmas RDG.

xx