Wednesday 10 November 2010

Water

.


I want to be by the seaside. Having been brought up with a view over the Firth of Forth and then spending 21 years in London I miss it greatly. The present wilderness is about a thirty minute drive to the estuary, and I have nothing to drive of course, and I miss being near the sea. I miss that smell as well as the sound of the water lapping against quayside or rock. I miss the noise of seagulls, the sight of those various birds chomping their lunch while racing backwards and forwards with the tide. While the sand in the boot is a nuisance it is worth the risk when watching along a good beach, and the one at Bournemouth is excellent, especially after the crowds have gone. 


Water in general, when not flooding under the door or overflowing the bath and crashing through the ceiling, can be an amazingly relaxing creation. Sales of recordings of waterfalls, of mountain streams and even heavy rain, sell to those who wish to soothe the troubles of the day by allowing their mind to dwell in imaginary places. The gentle trickle of a stream does refresh the mind, no doubt this is why so many people place small fountains in their garden to create a mini paradise. (Paradise comes from the Persian word for garden. The Persians, Babylonians etc, like the Arabs, loved gardens. Cool water filled oasis made to measure, at least by the rich!) 


When living in London I watched a TV programme about narrow boats, the type of craft that are used for leisure or even home on Britain's many old canals. Once these were working boats carrying all sorts of goods from coal to hay bales through the country to the coast. Mostly this work was transferred to rail and nowadays a decent narrowboat can cost from £10000 to half a million! I don't own one! However while watching this programme I had a huge desire to be there, on such a craft, stopped alongside a green field miles from anywhere. City life attractions wear off as age creeps up. The fields,the gentle lapping of the water appeared worth more than gold to a city dweller. For those who live on such boats, and larger barge type parked in estuaries around the coast, the rise and fall of the tides gentle rocking must make life worth living. I saw one such boat advertised recently, a mere £350,000 was required....


Oh yes, and drinking water is good for you, especially when indoors!      


.  

3 comments:

Martyn said...

Having had quite a few beers lunchtime this post is quite appropriate to me. I'm definitely in need of the post subject. I've got a mouth like the insides of a Scottish international goalkeepers gloves.

The life on the canals definitely appeals to me. A dog would have to be a compulsory addition to the barge, sounds like a great life.

Your comment verification word says 'hoota'. Is that Scottish.

red dirt girl said...

I definitely love being near, next to, beside, on, above the water. But to be in it ??? I mean, I love my bath, don't get me wrong - but I'm terrified of swimming in the ocean. And lakes with squishy muddy bottoms - ewwwww. I don't trust murky depths, preferring clear view of where I'm stepping !!! Oh and I love drinking water, though I don't drink half as much as I should.
xxx

Adullamite said...

M, You had a few beers? I am surprised....

RDG, Get into a pool somewhere lass!