Thursday 20 November 2008

A Wall


I have nothing to say. This is unfortunate as my fingers have got into the habit of bouncing across the keyboard, in no organised order, and keep doing so even if there is nothing to post, not e-mails to write and no begging letters to invent. so here is a picture of a wall.

I like this wall. In fact, since that Bolton steeplejack and his travels around British heritage, that is the industry of the past, mostly Victorian, I have been fascinated by brickwork. The Victorian brickie must never had a day off work! Buildings by the thousand were built as cities expanded, bridges for the railways, factories and countless work projects by government and local councils gave an opportunity to work anywhere in the nation. This church wall for instance is red brick, (and how many red bricks were used in the south of England?) with darker bricks used to create a simple pattern. Rail bridges nearby were built at awkward angles and the brickwork bends as the bridge crosses the line, and in many homes delicate towers and pillars are built in to the building as attractive pattern or to fit into awkward corners. The skill of the brickie from the past is without equal, today the brickie has a simple job as cost does not allow for the exhibition brickwork of the past. The brickie in late Victorian Britain got into the habit of joining with others for protection and help. All artisns did the same, paying sixpence or so a week into a fund, and when sick enabled to withdraw a few shilings a week to keep alive. Usually such gatherings occured in public houses which often became known as the 'Bricklayers Arms.'

5 comments:

Gerry Hatrić said...

I remember one holiday I developed a strange obsession with patterns on walls and the ground and took pictures of all of it, much to the embarrassment of my daughters.

Da Old Man said...

I have noticed also that speed has replaced style and workmanship. Thde old buildings often have ornate decorative trimmings while those built in the latter part of the 20th century onward are just simple and utilitarian.

Unknown said...

I dearly love the kind of architecture that you are referring to. I would undoubtedly spend most of my time starring at buildings if I ever got an opportunity to visit the British Isles, as well as the rest of Europe.

By the way, you had less to say this time than you did the last time you had nothing to say. Alas, I wish I could say that brevity becomes you, but I fear that it would just inspire you to reach for greater heights. Therefore, I won't.

Mike Rose said...

Ah how I loved Fred Dibnah rolling up on his steam engine complete with a box of dynamite.
Perhaps a suitably placed sick would help with the writers block.
Only joking-honest!

Mike Rose said...

Oh dear! I should have said stick not sick!

But then again!