Tuesday 22 October 2019

Gardens Walk...


This afternoon, suddenly inspired by Suzah's brilliant photo blog I rushed out into the remains of the afternoon sun in a van attempt to copy her.  I failed! 
Avoiding the shenanigans in the House of Commons I had spent the day in meditative practices, or dozing as they call it, not counting the three tracks from 'AC/DC' that I played to wake me up and get me going of course.  That sufficed to enable me to visit Tesco and risk a checkout lass with a cold.  Standing as far back as possible  finished the job and hobbled home in the sunshine.  There, while the sun glinted of the rusting leaves I read the panic stricken media informing us of wild winter weather, storms and gale force winds plus snow!  Possibly the media have not understood October before.


So I wandered across to the Public Gardens so kindly donated by one of the Courtauld's in 1840.  This, once part of their garden, was well lit in the late afternoon sun.  Even better the wee kids were not running around screaming as they were being dragged by their anxious mothers to various primary schools to collect the bigger members of the family as they left school.  Once again we must make the most of the days as next week they are on holiday again.  


You do realise that as darkness falls and the shops fill the shelves with Christmas stuff yet another year is ending?  Two months and a week or so to go.  I'm sure time did not go so fast in the past. 


Trees grow at a slow rate.  I suddenly realised today just how big that tree actually is.  The man below, hidden to our right, knows just how big the tree is as he has raked up the fallen leaves and knows he has to do it all again very soon.  These must have been planted in the 1840s I reckon, as I think that is when the garden opened. By 1880 when donated to the town (I am guessing at the year as I canny be bothered looking the date up as they are on record next door) these trees would have been  decent size yet neither the garden designer nor the owner would ever appreciate them full grown.   I stood for a moment and wondered at the huge size of trees, this one spread out, others going almost straight up, and enjoyed them.  Reminds me of the tree seen on Dave's site recently during his French adventure.  Now the dying leaves fall to the ground, annoying many who have to remove them, and remarkably quickly the bare trunk will stand stark against the sky, all rather sad in a way. 


The Holly is preparing for winter also.  Large bushes appear, usually with red berries but I wished to get a dark line against the sky for an effect.  Comments on a  postcard... 


3 comments:

the fly in the web said...

Well I enjoyed your photographs...good composition and some super colours.
I was watching the Parliament channel when Leo asked what was wrong with the sheep...he had mistaken the honorable members blathering away for our flock.

Dave said...

Suzah is a good photographer and thanks for the mention. Parks are wonderful and yesterday our U3A Local History group had a talk on the history of Cardiff's largest park, Bute Park, donated to Cardiff by the Marquis of Bute. Its well used both for sports activities educational, and recreational, an interesting fact was that the park gets over a million visitors a year.

Adullamite said...

Fly, Leo is correct, sheep they are and sheep they will remain!

Dave, Excellent use of the Park. Good numbers. The rich had their uses in times past.