Thursday 9 November 2017

Dismal Park and Dismal Charity


Twice this week I have meandered slowly across the park ruminating on how depressing and dank a park can be when weather is dreich and the park empty of life.  Trees stand bare of leaves, they lie rusting all around, even evergreens appear darker than normal and only an occasional small bird is noted high up on a bare branch shivering in the gloom.  In the far distance a pale blue sky might be seen on occasion but much of the sky is battleship gray and full of the promise of rain.  
How much better in the Spring when leaves develop happily, bright yellow Daffodils and other flowers dominate the edges of the par and toddlers run around with parents struggling in the rear and the air is full of birdsong and bright sunlight. 
Not even the occasional drug dealer hovers during this day, gathering in the dim light behind bushes at night maybe but never in the dank daylight.  Those choosing to cross the park do so wrapped up in winter garb, council workers passing through offering brightness with those high-vis yellow or lime green jackets they are forced to wear, the only bright spot in the day.  How depressing a park can be after rain or in winter.  Roll on Spring.


An A4 envelope crashed through the door today.  Inside there was a letter from a charity, a four page letter, detailing the sob story they work amongst, a reply envelope, a car, a three page handout detailing the work at Christmas all wrapped in a big envelope.  My first reaction was simple, if they can afford an appeal of this size they can do without my money.  Money spent asking for money can be saved by sending out less and more to the point I say.
This came from a  place I have helped before, a good place doing good work especially at Christmas. However as I mentioned to one (well run) charity a while back I do not wish large amounts of guff asking for money and all of it ends up in the recycling.  Brief details well written tell more and may get my sympathy.  I recall one charity working amongst children sending out small plastic packets containing a sugar/water mix that they feed starving children, my attitude was send that to where it is needed not to me!  
A quick glance at 'Charity' on Google (Google, there is a charity that is doing well!) reveals hundreds and thousands of charities asking for cash.  Some are small local ones, good for them, others huge national world wide operations paying the top people over a hundred thousand a year (charity eh?) and I am not sure they are making the best use of the cash with such administration.
Clearly charities have to fight to get our money, clearly there is much need, clearly this failing government is contributing to the need by throwing people on the streets and failing to provide care where it is needed.  There will always be a requirement for charity and in this country people are always willing to give, I just wonder if the money is always used correctly, administration organised properly and my limited cash is being used in the most appropriate manner.


 

5 comments:

Lady Di Tn said...

Mr A
After the unhealthy months I have suffered even a walk in a damp cold park would be welcomed. 4 doctors later and I seem to be on the mend but I was told it takes 3 or more months to get better. Since it took so long to get help, well I guess it will take a while to mend properly. I had to laugh when you were talking CHARITIES. I did the same thing and the Red Cross and Habitat for Humanity will never ever get a dime from me or even a penny. We have wonderful charities here in Tennessee and I only support 4 and if I find they are abusing the funds, well they too will be cut from my merger support. Here wishing your long johns and socks do not have holes. Peace

the fly in the web said...

I give ot a couple of small scale charities that have no paid admin people but never to the behemoths.

Dave said...

I look on all the charity stuff I get through the door as providing work for people. 1. the printers, 2.the person who delivers it. 3. the binmen who collect mine, 4. the recycling people.

I once worked in the same building as a well known charity and was amazed at how good their wage structure was.

I think people have their own particular charities and generally just support them.

Jenny Woolf said...

I do find charity requests very annoying if they say something like, "last year your gave us enough to buy one thing for our needy people, why not make it even better this year and give enough for TWO?" I dare not do it in case the year after that I am guilt tripped into giving enough for four and so on. But it is also true that those who don't ask tend to be forgotten. I think a raffle is a good idea. There is always the chance of winning something and it keeps the charity in mind.

Adullamite said...

Lady, I hope you recover soon, we miss you!

Fly, That sounds the ideal to me.

Dave, I am amazed at the wage structure in some. I wish I had known when younger!

Jenny, Yes once they have you they do not forget. I don't mind buying cards etc from some.